Major Dillemma (Please Help A Brother!)

anil099

Ok so I'm a senior in college and just today I won the big prize in our dorm program...they were raffling off prizes at the end and I won the big one...the wii

I'm not a "hardcore" gamer per say...but I enjoy sports games...and first person shooter games...basketball, college and pro football, and stuff like cod 4 and what not

I have four options basically...

1) Keep the wii
2) Trade the wii for my friends xbox 360 20 gb with 5 games which are cod 4, gta 4, halo 3, and 2 others i can't recall
3) Sell the wii on ebay for $200-$250 ish and Buy a brand new Xbox 360 60 gb for $299
4) Sell the wii on ebay for $200-$250 and buy a brand new ps3 for $399

option 3 would cost me an extra $100 ...$50 more for xbox and $50 xbox live
option 4 would cost $150 more as ps3 is $399
I don't know what to do with option 2 because its an older model and what if it goes bad....i mean its not like i paid anything for the wii but still its a first gen xbox i think
and any votes on option 1?

Thanks!

I live in a decent sized dorm and have a 20 inch flat tv no hd or anything if that makes a difference

bm23

i'd say 2 is the best option. i think you can change the size of hard disk for xbox 360, I THINK.

DirtyD86

banned
option 2 is the best IMO. the ps3 is just bleh, and the wii only has a few games worth playing. if you had a choice in the matter id say rent mario galaxy and play the hell out of that for a week or two, then go with option 2. that is a great collection of games, you will get a lot of enjoyment out of it

anil099

any thoughts on the 360 being an older model or going dead on me its probably out of warranty or close to it? if it hadnt gone bad so far shud i still be concerned? thats my main goal i dont wana give up a wii for free lol

DirtyD86

banned
any thoughts on the 360 being an older model or going dead on me its probably out of warranty or close to it? if it hadnt gone bad so far shud i still be concerned? thats my main goal i dont wana give up a wii for free lol

it's always a risk... no one can really say with any certainty whether it is going to happen. there are steps you can take to help prevent it, but we all know the 360 has major issues with the red rings

what part of atlanta are you in BTW? what school do you go to? im up here in alpharetta

Twist86

Option 2 is the best...but no warranty if it breaks unless Microsoft extends the warranty.

If they don't with how crappy a 360 is made parts wise 3 would be safer :)

A 360 will break within 10-20 months unless you modify it and add in some 80mm fans and replace the thermal paste on the CPU. Also a good chance the PSU will fry as well....most use a PC power supply for them now.

joelmagar

i'd say get the 360 but, wii is supposed to be making more fps and rpg like games so it might be worthwhile to keep the wii but i really doubt any of the games are going to end up being good if they even make it out on market

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
i say go for option 2,Open it up and improve the cooling,re-apply thermal paste,add a few fans and maybe replace the Psu like mentioned.

anil099

what part of atlanta are you in BTW? what school do you go to? im up here in alpharetta

Athens, GA I go to UGA...i did go to GEorgia State for my first two years and lived in atlanta and enjoyed the hell out of it...im originially form rome, ga

only thing i know about alpharetta is that my aunt used to live there and when i first moved to atlanta for college i got lost there and drove around for 30 mins

ok so the adding a fan, improving cooling etc those are the reasons for the rrd? and taking those steps will at least maybe prevent it

how much will all that run? im leaning option 2 heavy right now

and does microsoft extend warranties?

teamhex

Depends on your setup and what you want.
Loud console that gets extremely hot?
Quiet console that plays blu rays and doesn't put off as much heat?(O its also more powerful :) )
Its all about what you want really. Id say get the 360 or the ps3.
If you need a blu ray player then the Ps3 is the way to go.

SSMUFF

Hard to sell for more $ when you can buy the Wii for $249 in the stores. I would sell the Wii and buy a new Xbox. Used consoles is not the way to go. Buy new console then pick up some used games.

Last edited:

anil099

there is not emerging an option E

where I go to wal mart and return the wii cause thats where they bought it from...i dont have a receipt but i heard from a dude if u have the tag they can look up the info and give oyu a store gift card

so i could get a $250 store gift card and buy a new xbox or ps3 there rather than going through the trouble of ebaying it off for $200-$220 ish paying for shipping AND waiting for the funds to hit my account not to mention commission for ebay

I hardly ever win anything it would be a shame if i let this go to "waste" by getting an old xbox that fuqqs up on me hahaha which would happen to someone like me

Money isn't that much of a problem...I just got back from vegas in december and won like $650 there so i have $500 of that still left in my savings account...was hoping to save for another vegas trip but i guess ill just to a florida beach or something for summer lol

superbowl is also coming up i could place $150 of that $500 on the big game hahah and if i win thats a free ps3! or 360 lol

anil099

New Update

The Trade is out...my friend just told me it freezes up sometimes and i really don't wana take a risk..he only has a few months left on his warranty

so now basically the debate has come down to 360 vs ps3

$100 more for 360
$150 more for ps3

gotta buy games for both so cant let that affect the decision

or shud i just sell it and keep the cash lol

teamhex

Id say the Ps3 if you have a nice HDTV Blu-rays can be found cheap on ebay. I usually get em for around $13 a piece in a excellent condition. Iv gotten a few new ones for 8-10 dollars though. Great investment I think, I mostly used mine for a blu-ray player. This was when the players were alot more then the Ps3. If all your going to be doing is playing games then id say the Xbox, they have a few console specific games that are pretty good.

anil099

I don't have a hdtv just a 20 inch flat in my dorm...but i graduate in 3 months or so and i will probably get a hdtv for my apartment or ask one for my graduation

And i also heard u can stream netflix movies on the xbox live thing? that sounds interesting can you do something similar for ps3

teamhex

I don't have a hdtv just a 20 inch flat in my dorm...but i graduate in 3 months or so and i will probably get a hdtv for my apartment or ask one for my graduation

And i also heard u can stream netflix movies on the xbox live thing? that sounds interesting can you do something similar for ps3

Yeah, but its really not that good as far as quality. You can also rent Blu-rays with net flix :) Iv tried streaming through the Xbox, and Id say its a great service, but a subpar picture. I don't think the playstation currently offers anything like that. However you don't have to pay to play online with people. Its easy to transfer files back n forth, with the xbox its nearly impossible, its a real pain. I just see to many plus's on the Ps3 side. The Ps3 even has more top rated games(according to game informer's June 08). The only thing you get with the xbox is a few console specific games. You can still download HD trailers and everything you can with an Xbox. Iv owned both, I had my 360 first then I got my playstation 4 months later. I just don't think ill ever consider one again. I don't really want to sound like a fan boy or anything though.

Last edited:

anil099

Yeah the xbox 360 exclusives don't really do anything for me...I was never big on halo

Id buy mostly sports/racng/first person shooter/maybe SOME strategy like civilization that's about it and they make those games for both systems

as far as exclusive games go the only one that i would be interested in is tekken 6 which is for ps3

I know xbox live is better and has more players the hard part for me is determining if that gap is worth the $50 a year or giving up a blu ray player

i guess i jsut dont wana get a ps3 and be able to play my sports games online with a lot of people for a while i

teamhex

i guess i jsut dont wana get a ps3 and be able to play my sports games online with a lot of people for a while i
? PlayStation has the same voice communication, and friends list capability. I mean its no different. You just don't have to pay to play online. Many people have Ps3's I had tons of friends online and played Madden all the time. Theirs really no reason to get a 360, other then xbox only games like halo, give me a reason to get one?