Major Newbie modem question

Shjen

Hi guys! Big time noob, I know absolutely nothing about computers modems/routers etc..etc... I'm hoping for some advice. I live in the middle of nowhere, literally. I enjoy online gaming on a console and the only Internet I can get here other than satellite is century link. I pay for 10mbps but run around 1.1-1.2 go ahead, laugh. We've always rented a modem/router combo from century link because we didn't know any better. I was recently given a modem and router. Motorola SB6121 modem and Netgear N750 router. This modem is a cable type, I have a phone line for century link... is there anyway I could make this modem work on a phone line? Adapter or something? Or do I have to buy a different one?

beers

Staff member
Nope, different protocols and standards.

I'd ring up CL though since getting 1/10th of your rated speed is pretty terrid.

Are you measuring your speed in download MB/sec? Keep in mind 8 bits are in a byte, 10 mbit would give you around ~1.2 MB/sec in transfer rate.

Last edited:

Shjen

Thank you John, I wasn't sure if there was some kind of adapter for it or not. I'll be on the lookout for another modem.

I have contacted CL and told them I only want to pay for what I was getting. They said something about the lines needing upgraded. I am 40 minutes away from the nearest town and it's only 12,000 people. Most days I'm around 1.1-1.3

Shjen

I'm having trouble uploading a picture. I shut wifi off on everything except for my phone and I got. 1.45mbps download and .27 upload.

Shjen

Mistersprinkles, I live in the middle of nowhere and really enjoy it. House is already paid off, only had to pay for materials thanks to the family construction company. The modem/router provided to us by centurylink is a westell 7500. I hear nothing but bad things from them.. could I get better or more reliable speeds with a better modem and router?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
As I said before, if you are a decent distance from the phone exchange then you won't get decent speeds. If you are over about 2-3 miles from the nearest town then speeds will be horrible. How old is this modem you got from CL?

Shjen

I'm not sure where the nearest exchange is but the town I'm closest to has less than 300 people. My cousin that lives in town has about the same speed as me. A bigger town, is about 25 miles away. I get 1.3 at best, when only one thing is on the wifi and nothing hooked up by cord. I play online a little and if a phone or something gets left on wifi I get booted off. I was hoping to up my speeds just a little to avoid that. The modem/router combo is every bit of 8 years old. I have a really nice router but can't use it till I upgrade my modem, if that'll even help at all.im just hoping for a little bit faster. Maybe touch 2.0mbps.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
At 8 years old, its time to get a new one anyway. When you decide what to get, make sure its a modem only since you already have a router. I wouldn't get another modem/router combo unit.