Major PC Problems with Motherboard and LAN driver

davidandersson

Hello,
There are a few problems that I have been having since I upgraded my computer. I put in a new motherboard (ASUS P8Z68-v-pro) and some RAM (8GB (4Gx2) 1600 Patriot Gamer2) and a new CPU (i7 2600k). They are:

-Whenever I start up the computer the first time my display always stays blank. Windows does boot (unexpected shut down message on next boot because I turned it off with the power button) but the screen stays blank. This is usually accompanied by the GPU fan spinning really fast for a few seconds. At some stage the computer wouldn't start at all (I had moved it to a friends house) so we switched the PCIe slot of my ATI 5850 GPU, which meant that the computer now started on the second try consistently.

-When the computer does boot properly no internet connection is available. I have to re-install the drivers for the LAN Intel chipset which fixes the problem.

I have done a bit of trouble shooting myself. This is:
1. Tried the GPU on a different computer- no problems.
2. Tried different RAM in the computer- no change.
3. Unplugged everything that was drawing power from the power supply (disc drives, non-OS HDDs)- no change.
4. Use the on board power buttons rather than connecting the case power buttons- no change.
5. Made sure all the dirvers were up to date (couldn't update the BIOS because when I download the update file from ASUS it is a ROM file which supposedly opens with the ASUS update utitlity, which I downloaded from some fileshare website but when I start that up it says "only supports ASUS motherboards ad then the program stops responding)- no change.
6. Googled around for other people who had similar problems- couldn't find anything.
7. Looked at the ASUS trouble shooting website- garbage and no help.
8. Restored the computer to the state just after installing the OS- no change.
9. Re-installed the OS- no change.

The other components I am running are:
Kingston 120Gb SSD
A few WD HDDs
650W Earthwatts PSU

Anyone know what else I can do? I am about to return the MB to the shop and get a replacement, but I would prefer not doing that.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I doubt it will help but you can try resetting the cmos. Unplug the power from the power supply, remove the cmos battery from the motherboard, press the power button on the case a few times to discharge any remaining power, then wait 5 minutes. Then reinsert battery, reconnect power and try booting up. If this don't work then I would return the motherboard.