Major problem! HELP

X24

When i originally got my computer built my graphics card wouldn't work all the time, but i figured it was just a driver issue and i uninstalled and reinstalled a couple times until finally it seemed to be fixed. Now a couple months later I ran into the same problems, only switching drivers did nothing at all and it finally just wouldn't display anything.

I went ahead and bought an 8800GT to replace the 3850, and its just not displaying anything at all either.

I think i disabled onboard graphics, so i reset the bios by taking out the battery and unhooking the computer for around 15 minutes but after that the onboard graphics still didn't work.

I was searching online and one guy said 99% of the time its either ram or motherboard, so i put one ram stick in at a time and rebooted and it didn't work with either stick of ram so I'm thinking it has got to be the motherboard correct? I also tried unhooking everything not necessary from the psu thinking it may have been the psu, but that wouldn't explain why it had worked fine the past 3-4 months and then just stopped working, and it didn't work either.

So is it motherboard for sure or could it be something else?

G25r8cer

To disable onboard go to run and type "devmgmt.msc". This will open Device Manager. Go to Display adapters and right click the inboard and click "Disable".

X24

To disable onboard go to run and type "devmgmt.msc". This will open Device Manager. Go to Display adapters and right click the inboard and click "Disable".

That isn't my problem. I cant get the computer to display anything on the monitor, whether using onboard graphics or either of my pci-e cards.

X24

So thanks for all the help!

I decided to just get a new motherboard and see how that works out.

Its a step up from my current motherboard, just something that'll allow me to upgrade this Christmas for not much damage.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186141

I can upgrade to a quad core phenom and one of the newer video cards and It'll get me through COD5 and Farcry2 on decent settings i believe.

One question though, i know since i get a new mobo i have to flash my OS hdd (cheap 80gb) but do i just put it together and throw the vista CD in and it'll let me boot from the CD and flash the drive or am i going to have to somehow flash the drive using a different computer?

X24

Well crap. Put it all together and it still isn't displaying anything.

What comes next? Memory? CPU?

HELP PLEASE! I think i'm in over my head at this point, I've replaced my GPU and motherboard to no avail and I'm running out of money to throw around.

EXTREMELY PISSED!

X24

Well after eliminating everything else, it IS the PSU...the lesson for today, CF members don't help me out and don't skimp on PSU EVER.

So what i end up with out of the deal:

Better motherboard, ram, GPU, psu and upgradability.

Now just gotta throw together some parts for a server or i guess since i have 2 decent GPU's i could make a mini gaming computer.