Make Router Receive Wi-Fi

mreccentric

I'm having couple of old routers which i want to use to receive a Wi-Fi hotspot, and then connect to a computer using LAN port. In simple words, i don't have LAN cable that can be used for such a distance (Bridge Mode) to make the router be used as repeater. So, i'm thinking to use my old router to catch a Wi-Fi signal and connect the internet through an ethernet cable.

The point is because the USB Wi-Fi dongle isn't catching the signal well. Can i hack the router firmware and do something like that?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
What model routers do you have? DD-WRT is a firmware that can be flashed on routers to allow them to act as wireless receivers.

mreccentric

I have ZTE F670L router. I am currently using it as repeater with LAN extension through Bridge Mode. Need to use it as Wireless repeater (without LAN cable for extension).

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Looks like that model is not supported by DD-WRT or OpenWRT. It's not mainstream enough so you'll probably be out of luck

mreccentric

I see. I did check the DD-WRT website. It didn't seem to be there. In fact, the brand it self was not available.
Should check for other ones in the closet, while i left one few years ago at my accommodation in Dubai while i was an Expat.

The USB WiFi dongle currently been used seems to be giving heat issues, and sometimes a burnt smell. Need a device to make my desktop connect to WiFi, since it doesn't have inbuilt capabilities. Please do reply with such matching devices if possible.

Thanks for the inputs.

mreccentric

I see. Didn't know that these type of cards are available too. Let me know if these can get connected to Wi-Fi better than USB dongles. Because, the USB dongles don't find the Access Point if i connect it to the rear USB port.

Again, are all PCI-E Network cards wireless in nature?

beers

Staff member
Rear USB kinda sucks because it's stuffed down in wherever. If you have a USB extension cable and can snake it up to the top of your desk or something, usually a better result.

mreccentric

@beers For that i need to find a suitable USB cable (with copper core). I have tried with cheap ones, and the result was not good. This was because the cheap cables didn't support high data rates.

@voyagerfan99 Now, i will either buy a 30 Meter LAN cable and extend it from the Original router. Or get a Wireless Network PCI-E card.