Make wifi range greater

lillyanne

Hi guys, I'm brand new to this and as green as grass so I hope to find someone who can help me.

I've been searching google and trying for hours and hours to set something up but after going miles at this... i've hit a road block.

My router is a technicolor TG582n and I have an old Linksys WRT54g that I wanted to set up in the downstairs of the house to capture my wifi and extend the signal.

I've done some amazing things so far that I can't even believe but I made it to the part of flashing the linksys and putting a new firmware dd-wrt.v24-12548

I don't even know what i'm doing but I managed to set this up.

I'm on a page that is supposed to help me set up the new firmware on the linksys... but the first step, after i make the changes and click save, it goes to a blank page on my browser. I'm able to go back and try again but it doesnt work.

I'll copy the link of the page as well as the instructions .... maybe someone could take the time to please help me.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

the part that I get stuck is after I follow these instructions and click save.
One thing I notice is my technicolor router is N... and I don't have the option to set the wireless mode to N

Now i'm finding that any changes i make to the router settings on the linksys won't save.. i don't know why.

To enable bridge mode between two routers, the primary router must be in AP mode (default) with DHCP Server enabled. The secondary router running DD-WRT v24 will be configured as the Repeater Bridge.

Restore Factory Defaults on Secondary (DD-WRT) Router
Do a proper HARD 30-30-30 Reset on the router.
Set your computer to a static IP of 192.168.1.9 if you know how to set static addresses. Otherwise leave your computer's network adaptor(s) programmed with the factory default setting of DHCP and the router will assign a valid address to your computer.
Connect your computer to the secondary router via wired LAN port or as a wireless client. The dd-wrt default wireless SSID is "dd-wrt"
Open the address http://192.168.1.1 in your web browser. Newer versions of DD-WRT will require you to set a password before you can continue.
Open the Wireless -> Basic Settings tab
Physical Interface Section
Wireless Mode : Repeater Bridge
Wireless Network Mode : Must Match Primary Router
Wireless Network Name(SSID) : Must Match Primary Router exactly including exact case- Make sure you spell this correctly
Wireless Channel : Must Match Primary Router (This will disappear once you put it in RB mode, and isn't needed)
Wireless SSID Broadcast : Enable
Network Configuration : Bridged
Save

thanks guys for any help :)

Last edited:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Your technicolor router supports b and g as well as n, so it's probably running mixed mode, that shouldn't be the problem.

Are you getting any error when you hit the save button in ddwrt? Are you somehow resetting to factory settings? Those hard resets will reset all the settings so make sure you aren't doing one after the first step (which is likely unnecessary but doesn't hurt anything).