Make xp faster or leave it?

Bigjake52

just a question. My dad told me to leave the office computer alone and not make it faster but its 6 years old 512 mb of ram 80gb hdd and 1 amd cpu?
but should i make it faster or leave it?
:confused:

Bigjake52

he just an old guy and does not under stand it. its like putting more expense oil in your car to make it run beter right ? and the stupid computer was only 400$. the computer is a pice of crap and m dad says it runs good but it does not. how could i explain this to him?

koOp

explain it in terms of a builder, eg. old comp = old builder, new comp = young skilled worker

patrickv

just a question. My dad told me to leave the office computer alone and not make it faster but its 6 years old 512 mb of ram 80gb hdd and 1 amd cpu?
but should i make it faster or leave it?
:confused:

6 years is old yes, but 512mb and 80GB is not.
It also depends on the AMD cpu, you can use side utilities to cleanup or you can start fresh. I still find 512mb and 80GB good for Xp. be it SDR or DDR

Quick69GTO

Your dad understands more than you think.
He said to leave his PC alone, so leave it alone.
By the way, changing the oil in a car to more expensive oil (i.e. conventional oil to Mobil 1) does not make the car run better. All it does is help the car last longer.

aqh88

The question is does it need to be faster? My mom's most stable and favorite office computer is a 10year old dell that has never been upgraded. It works just fine for what she needs it for. Has enough space for what she needs. She has no reason to upgrade it in any way. The only thing I might do is replace a few fans that are wearing out.

You shouldn't mess with something just because you can. Especially if it has someone else's work on it. Unforeseen problems occur even to the most knowledgeable people and you could end up with the computer not working for at least a short period of time. I went to do a simple heatsink upgrade for my cpu and ended up not having a working computer for a week because the part was wrong and the frame that held the previous heatsink cracked despite careful removal. I had to order a new frame and wait for them to ship out the correct heatsink/fan for the socket.

Now if the computer is slow for you then perhaps you should speak to your dad about whether it's time for you to have your own computer that you can mess with. Even better get a job and pay for it yourself.

jw214

what anti virus does he have? maybe get his AV situation up to date if it is not. run a recommended AV along with spybot, adaware, ccleaner & cleanup(all freeware) then disk cleanup and disk defragmenter from system tools in your start menu. if that stuff has rarely been done you could see a reasonable improvement without hurting anything