Making a silent gaming build, what do you think?

NVX_185

Hey guys, I'm gonna use this build for both 1080p 60fps gaming as well as photo/video editing. Here's what I'm planning on getting:

Intel Xeon 1241 v3 (basically an i7-4790 equivalent, but AU$45 cheaper)
Kingston HyperX 16GB RAM (1600Mhz)
Gigabyte H97 Gaming 3 Motherboard
MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB
Fractal Design R5 with window

I'm gonna carry over the rest of the components from my current build (my sig). Being an NVIDIA user for 7 years, I think I'll take the plunge with AMD for the first time as it seems to beat the GTX960 at the same price.

I'm trying to make this build as silent as possible, so any input would be great. Thanks!

I've always wanted to put all my machines in a closet then run the cables (vga/kb/usb/etc) through wall plates so completely have zero fan noise, but working in a datacenter for many years I got use to the drone of thousands of fans.

With that said. The biggest noise I think you're going to face is indeed the fans.

Fans can vibrate a lot, so mounting them with those rubber/silicone standoffs can help eliminate a lot of noise.

You might think about using one of those massive fanless heatsinks.. or a water cooler of some sort with silent fans.

Acoustic foam lining the inside of the case can deaden a lot of sound.

Might try to get the case to become a positive pressure and use fan controllers to keep the fans at a low speed..

Get an internal harddrive enclosure that mounts the harddrives in the same fashion, with vibration standoffs.

Dust filters on the outside of the fans can deaden a lot of the fan noise.

I've seen some folks build essentially two cases, one on the inside of the other, to help eliminate a lot of the noise.

Buying Quality silent Fans will probably do more than anything.

I hope this helps!

NVX_185

Appreciate the reply. I'm aware that the Define R5 has a lot of these thing already (quiet fans, sound dampening, dust filters, etc). My CPU cooler fan seems to be loudest item at this point but it's still decently quiet.

Will the R9 380 provide 50fps minimum in 1080p?