Malaware bytes Upgrade or Not.

Stattovic

My new laptop after 3/4 hours often gets sluggish, difficult to click on web pages etc, so I have to restart it then I run cc cleaner.

Looking at the Malaware comments I downloaded and ran a scan, no issues shown apart from it said you have 76 items that need attention. To do this please upgrade to the proffesional edition.

Is this just a ploy to pay money or does it really need it ?

Free Avast also asks me about upgrading.

_Pete_

Whatever version of Malwarebytes you install it will always install the free trial which when it runs out will prompt you to buy the full version. You need to go into settings on the dashboard and then accounts and in there is an option to disable the trial version.

I have to say that if my brand spanking new laptop went sluggish after a couple of hours I would be seriously thinking of chucking it back at the seller.

kris oswald

How do these type of programs work with iTunes? I have the free avg installed and I am looking to add c-cleaner ad-aware and malwarebytes all the compatible with each other or I am I adding too much that may cause a conflict?..thanks!

_Pete_

You should be okay with more than one anti-malware program. It's anti-virus programs that conflict if you have more than one installed.

Agent Smith

Ccleaner does NOT remove malware. Why people think this is beyond me. And you might want to also use System Ninja. I can guarantee you that it will delete far more temp files.

You should just use Sandboxie for your browser and if you want to pay for anti-virus protection, I'd recommend a sandbox approach using Shadow Defender or try Faronics Anti-executable.

All the definition-based anti-virus software in the world won't stop polymorphic malware.

_Pete_

Ccleaner does NOT remove malware. Why people think this is beyond me. And you might want to also use System Ninja. I can guarantee you that it will delete far more temp files.

You should just use Sandboxie for your browser and if you want to pay for anti-virus protection, I'd recommend a sandbox approach using Shadow Defender or try Faronics Anti-executable.

All the definition-based anti-virus software in the world won't stop polymorphic malware.

The only mention of Ccleaner was by the OP and he didn't say he was using it to remove malware. As for That bunch of gobble de gook above I think us mere mortals need that lot translated into something we can understand.

AlienMenace

I only use a few things on my system, and I haven't any problems in years.
Anti-virus - Avast the free version, modified for tighter security.
Malwarebytes Pro - I got it before they went to yearly subscriptions. It is life time.
CCleaner - to clean the garbage out of the system, I do this once a month. And yes this also be modified.

Agent Smith

The only mention of Ccleaner was by the OP and he didn't say he was using it to remove malware. As for That bunch of gobble de gook above I think us mere mortals need that lot translated into something we can understand.

The reason why I mentioned it was because many people post about it in malware help threads.

"But, but, I used Ccleaner!"

Unreal. And these people also think MSE is an adequate enough anti-virus.
Anti-virus - Avast the free version, modified for tighter security.
Malwarebytes Pro - I got it before they went to yearly subscriptions. It is life time.

You do not won't to overlap anti-virus software. They will work against each other. Unless you use Malwarebytes as a scanner only.

I can tell you right now that Herdprotect portable will most likely find more crap. It uses 68 anti-virus engines in the cloud so it's like Virus Total for your Comp. But with that the risk of false positives is great, so you need to research anything found you think might not be suspicious.

I'm a person who doesn't believe in trends and I don't follow the mainstream norms. Everyone and their uncle it seems wants to rely on Malwarebytes, Avast and Ccleaner. My answer to that is Herdprotect portable, Bitdefender Free and System Ninja. But each their their own. Some people use Glary Utilities, but I thought it was convoluted and overstuffed bytes. And I don't "Google" anything, I DuckDuck Go my crap.

As for That bunch of gobble de gook above I think us mere mortals need that lot translated into something we can understand.

Translation:

Heed the advice of someone who's reached the far corners of the net, on and off the dark side and has NEVER gotten a malware infection and has tossed about 500 MB of malware at the products I wrote about.

It's as if you're saying I don't know what I'm talking about, but I bet you I can infect your computer as an experiment if you let me on your Comp with Team Viewer. Your so-called "protection" is null and void in terms of polymorphic malware protection.

The future of malware protection is thorough sandboxing/virtualization.

Last edited:

AlienMenace

You do not won't to overlap anti-virus software. They will work against each other. Unless you use Malwarebytes as a scanner only.

I can tell you right now that Herdprotect portable will most likely find more crap. It uses 68 anti-virus engines in the cloud so it's like Virus Total for your Comp. But with that the risk of false positives is great, so you need to research anything found you think might not be suspicious.

I'm a person who doesn't believe in trends and I don't follow the mainstream norms. Everyone and their uncle it seems wants to rely on Malwarebytes, Avast and Ccleaner. My answer to that is Herdprotect portable, Bitdefender Free and System Ninja. But each their their own. Some people use Glary Utilities, but I thought it was convoluted and overstuffed bytes. And I don't "Google" anything, I DuckDuck Go my crap.

I am not using 2 anti-virus programs. Malwarebytes is not a anti-virus program. And the Pro have stuff in there that is part of the program, where avast wants you to pay for what malwarebytes have already there. Besides I have had no problems with the two of them working together. Never have.