male 4-pin molex to female floppy adapter?

konsole

johnb35,

Yes I know that some fans have a male and female molex connection, I use to have some that had both. Maybe its just not clicking with me, but I'm still seeing problems with the sex type connections in your setup. Some fans have male and female molex connections, the female connection coming off the psu would connect to the male connection coming off the fan. Which would leave the female connection coming off the fan open to connect to the female connection on my adapter (again female/female doesnt work). You still dont see this conflict in "sex type" connection?

Maybe If I broke down your described setup for you...

1. female molex coming off psu connects to male molex on fan
2. this leaves the female molex on the fan open
3. the open female molex on the fan would then connect to the female molex on this adapter? (no of course not)

I know your getting frustrated, but a picture of what you installed would be helpful.

What Stranglehold describes sounds possible, but even that doesnt make any design sense. If the 4-pin floppy connector on my adapter can connect to a 3 or 4-pin header on the motherboard, then the other end of the adapter (larger molex end, which is female), could connect to the male connection on a dual molex connection fan. However this would leave the other connection on the fan (which would be female), to connect to the female connection coming off psu? If the female connection on the fan was left open then ok, but seems like bad design. I don't see how a 4-pin floppy connector can connect to a 3-pin or even 4-pin header coming off the motherboard anyways. I tried it and it didnt fit well.

If I broke down the steps of his setup also...

1. 3 or 4-pin header coming off motherboard connects to 4-pin floppy connector on this adapter (tried this and I doubt this was ever designed to connect)
2. Then the other end of the adapter (female larger molex) connects to the male molex on the fan
3. This leaves the open female molex connection on the fan to connect to the female connection on the psu, and once again female/female doesnt work.

I really really think the larger molex end was designed to connect to a drive due to its 90 degree angle wiring. The floppy connector end could then connect to a floppy drive, but using a power cable to connect a hard/optical drive to a floppy drive doesnt make sense. I'm thinking that older motherboards may have had a floppy connector header on them, so this cable would connect the floppy connector header on the motherboard to a hard/optical drive powering the drive. Its a stretch I know.

I know some of you guys are getting frustrated with this. If you are and dont feel like responding anymore don't, I know identifying this adapter isnt that big of deal. I feel like figuring it out and don't mind a little aggravation.

Last edited: