malware attack

justwondering

I was looking around on my computer and saw that there was about 5 malware exe files on my c:/ root. After seeing them, I got really paranoid quickly. My computer is running the internet through a wireless router, but there is no file sharing going on, I think. My question is:

-If I am part of a network that is not sharing files at all, can the malware/virus/spyware be transferred from computer to computer within the network?

Please let me know.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you are not sharing files or accessing the infected computer then I doubt the malware will get on the other computers.

lawson_jl

You were looking around and found them. How do you know they are malware files then? What are the files? It certainly sounds as if your paranoid to me.

justwondering

paranoid? sometimes. But it wasn't like I was looking around for infected files. I was doing something when I found myself on the C: root which contained files that I had never seen before. There were about 5 of them and when I googled the names online, they were under the malware category on many sites. I don't remember what the names were, but I deleted them immediately. They were not program files or system files, I know this for a fact. I can only remember that they were .exe files. And I think most of the file names were similar to program/system file names like iexplorer**.exe and others. Hope this answers your questions about how I know they are malware files and what the files are. As stated before, paranoid? Sometimes, but with good reason and now more than ever since finding those files.

ScottALot

Any answears I give are free and without warrently. I answear questions from the point of view of a working computer tech because that what I am.

Sorry, can't find the quote button on advanced...

If you want some spelling errors corrected in your sig, here it is corrected

Any answers I give are free and without warranty. I answer questions from the point of view of a working computer technician, because that's what I am.

Spelling wrong like that annoys me...

ON TOPIC: Maximum PC Magazine has these software CDs that they give out that could possibly help.