Maxtor 200GB bailed on me.

Scrapped>.<

HI
I just got a Maxtor 200Gb about 3 month ago.

my computer was macking te ta te ta te ta te ta noise so I turned off the computer. When i turned on the computer agian I got A massge saying computer bootup failed please insert the boot up disk, (something like that.)

So I opend up my computer and took out the 200Gb hardrive.(it is a slave drive.) and boot up the computer agian. and it was fine. but the master drive also makes noise sometimes (like seeeee zeeeee seeee zeeee). does this mean my master drive will bail out on me anytime, like how the Maxtor 200Gb did?

I tried to put back the 200Gb but i got the message agian. my computer is fine with out the 200Gb.

Sine my computer is fine with out the 200Gb, does this mean my Maxtor 200Gb is dead? or is it some wrong with my master drive since it also make noise?

I have about 120Gb of file on the maxtor, is there anyway to transper these files to the new hardrive that maxtor is going to sent to me for a replacement/

Last edited:

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Scrapped>.< said:
I have about 120Gb of file on the maxtor, is there anyway to transper these files to the new hardrive that maxtor is going to sent to me for a replacement/

"Drag and drop" should be the easiest way..

Scrapped>.<

SFR said:
"Drag and drop" should be the easiest way..

I was unable to boot up my computer with the slave drive in the computer....................

i think my question was not clear. so here it goes agian

Is there anyway to move the file on my 200Gb Maxtor hardrive to another hardrive. since i can't boot up my computer when it is connected to my computer. :)

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Scrapped>.< said:
I was unable to boot up my computer with the slave drive in the computer....................

i think my question was not clear. so here it goes agian

Is there anyway to move the file on my 200Gb Maxtor hardrive to another hardrive. since i can't boot up my computer when it is connected to my computer. :)

Sorry, I was under the impression your were speaking of your master hard drive and since it might be close to failing you wanted to get everything important off of there....

The Maxtor HD (slave) that might be dead has the 120GB on it... If the Maxtor HD no longer works then I do not see how you can retrieve the files. :( but you need to be sure that drive no longer works.. Maybe someone else has an answer....

As for your other HD (master) you need start making backups of everything important so you will never be in this predicament again.

Scrapped>.<

SFR said:
Sorry, I was under the impression your were speaking of your master hard drive and since it might be close to failing you wanted to get everything important off of there....

The Maxtor HD (slave) that might be dead has the 120GB on it... If the Maxtor HD no longer works then I do not see how you can retrieve the files. :( but you need to be sure that drive no longer works.. Maybe someone else has an answer....

As for your other HD (master) you need start making backups of everything important so you will never be in this predicament again.

how do i turn the master drive into slave drive? how do i copy the file to the now harddrive because my intire system is in the master drive. all the windows programs are on it.

by the way if i just change the intire master drive with out copying anything from it to the new drive. does this mean my computer will be with out a sigle spyware or virus? :p

Switch

If you can get the drive to still spin up, you might be able to ghost it over. This will save you from having to reload your PC and all your programs. If it will not boot into windows, that is a good indication that the disc is failing in the sector that contains the windows OS.

(Though without seeing what it is doing exactly, I can not say that is the definate reason)

Swapping the jumpers will allow you to change the drive locations, but you will need to have an OS installed on the other disc, unless you have a boot disc like UBCD or Bart PE that has utilities to help you in that area.

I really like UBCD, you can learn more and make your own disc for free here:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

wildguy2

I have heard tell of computer techs saying about mirroring a hard drive, what is that, doesn't that copy one hard drive to another :confused: ...I hard a computer hard drive fail once and this is what they did, they mirrored it...still lost a few files but got to keep about 98% of them.

I have no idea how they did it, does anyone know?