McAfee deceptive bait ads

HeTiCu13

Hello.

I have had McAfee AV on my PC's for years, primarily because they offer a considerably lower price plan for protecting all my devices. However, several years ago they started forcing these popup ads from time to time as sales gimmicks. Every year I get so annoyed by not being able to turn those off that I tell myself I'm gonna find someone else for my AV protection, regardless of the cost, when it comes time for renewal. I hate unsolicited, forced sales tactics.

Then, when the renewal time rolls around, I think about it and realize that I haven't seen any popup ads for awhile, so I do a quick research into "best AV of 20xx" and see that McAfee is still considerably the cheapest for several devices. Since I've never been bit by a virus while under their protection I then decide to just renew and live with the ads.

A few weeks ago, this new popup showed up. It says something like: "Your available memory is dangerously low: 7%". The first time I saw it, I immediately brought up Windows Task Manager and checked the Performance tab. It showed my memory usage to be running at around 12%, and GPU memory at about 2%. So I closed the popup and decided to ignore it.

That same popup has come up on all my PC's 2 or 3 times since then, and yet, when I check each PC, none of them are "dangerously low" on memory. It just popped up again, and this time I hit the "More Info" button. That brought up a sales pitch to buy their "PC Optimizing software" for a "low price": $39 (which I don't consider low). I REALLY hate that type of lying, bait-and-switch tactic.

So, my question is: Has anyone figured out how to disable those popup ads in McAfee? If not, can you offer a suggestion on an AV software that does not do that, and has a multi-device plan that won't bankrupt me? Thanks!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You'll find that in all software whether its free or paid. They just want more money from you by saying something is wrong when its actually not.

HeTiCu13

You'll find that in all software whether its free or paid. They just want more money from you by saying something is wrong when its actually not.

I SOOO did not want to hear that. But thanks for saying it.

BTW, there was an ad here (below) for TotalAV that said it was free, and one site I looked at said it was rated #1 for 2023 among AV software. If I have to endure forced ads from everyone, then maybe I should go with a free one, instead of paying someone to lie to me with popups on my PC. What do you think of TotalAV?

HeTiCu13

I have 4 PC's. So that does sound like a good choice for pricing.

However, several review sites I just checked rate Malwarebytes lower than TotatAV, Nortons, Bitdefender, and others, for various reasons. Why do you recommend Malwarebytes over all of those? Have you done comparative testing?