McAfee suddenly pops up, claims infection 5 viruses etc

positron

Twice today, three screens popped up, each overlapping the others. The top one says my McAfee subscription has lapsed and that
I have 5 viruses, I believe, in my computer. I cannot take a screenshot of them.

First was when Firefox was open. I closed firefox and the scam vanished. The next time, I closed Firefox and McAfee popped up on
desktop.

I do not, have not ever had McAfee in or on my computer.

What should I do? And thanks for help.

pos

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Download and run malwarebytes. It sounds like you just got some scareware.

positron

Download and run malwarebytes. It sounds like you just got some scareware.
I have malware anti-malware premium for life and it found 0 problems. All is on, including AI etc.
I have not powered off the computer just in case something might happen upon off/on.

cheers

pos

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I have not powered off the computer just in case something might happen upon off/on.
lol that makes no sense.

What happens if you open the browser again? Do you see it come back? Do you see anything weird listed in browser extensions? Did the computer come with McAfee and you just didn't remove it previously?

positron

lol that makes no sense.

What happens if you open the browser again? Do you see it come back? Do you see anything weird listed in browser extensions? Did the computer come with McAfee and you just didn't remove it previously?

I have not powered off the computer because I have seen programs etc that required rebooting to enter "computer code" into the
registry. I did not want the possibility of that happening.

The computer has never had Mcafee installed at any time, including when I purchased it. Years ago, on another
forum, a check was made for Mcafee and nothing found.

I see nothing out of the ordinary in browser when I reopen it. Nothing weird in extensions and plug ins.

I performed a "search programs and files" and found mcafee crap like I saw on desktop. I deleted it.
Interesting that malware anti malware or windows defender never saw and quaranteened it.

cheers

pos

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Did you go in programs and features and uninstall mcafee? Why would they quarantine a anti-virus program? They wouldn't.

positron

There is not, nor has been a mcafee program listed in program and features. If it is spam, a con, and not a true mcafee program,
wouldn't an antivirus program quarantine the fake?

So far, no popup of mcafee today.

cheers

pos

DKenn

If you look in the notification settings in Firefox you will probably find some rogue notification providers.

Go to Menu > Settings > Privacy & Security > Permissions > Notifications > Settings

Last edited:

johnnyb58

Is it getting close for renewing?
We used it at work and everybody's computer popped up with viruses just before it was up for renewal and none all year long before.

positron

I have Not had Mcafee in the computer. I only use Malware Anti-Malware and defender.

All has been working ok for days now. I guess all is fixed.

Thanks for time, and help.

pos