Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AVG

Votes: 22 75.9%
  • Other

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SlyFly

I was just curious as to what all of you perfer, McAfee or AVG? On my desktop I am currentley using McAfee, the only down side is I noticed it slows me down a little bit while using the Internet. On my laptop which I use for my music, I use AVG Pro and it doesn't slow me down but the scanning takes forever.

What do you perfer and why?
Poll ends in 30 days.

PC eye

banned
It seems we have a weekly poll on the same subject. One of these there may be a sticky on antivirus programs like the ways of prevention covered in http://www.computerforum.com/17717-basic-malware-prevention.html

McAFee had it's one time chance some years back and never again was the initial verdict for a good numbers of reasons. The free version of AVG provided for home use by Grisoft on the other hand has even worked better at actually catching and pointing a variety of "bugs"(trojans, trojan downloaders, malwares) then the other antispyware programs shown in the sticky with the exception of Ad-Aware which now sees a 2007 free version bu Lavasoft. Ad-Aware likes to catch browser hijackers.

PC eye

banned
McAFee must be desparate for sales when you see adding their software included with the ISP's for AOL, Yahoo, or whatever. I later ran Symantec's full System Works package on another old build and got that stuff fast when it bogged everything down there. That was on an old 98 build with three 256mb simms maxing memory.

MixedLogik

I use Lavasoft Adware Personel SE and Spybot Search and Destroy, both freeware and Love them. I highly reccomend them because they are easy to use, and get just about everything...

PC eye

banned
SpyBot S&D never did cut any slack here. But I could easily recommend that over several others. Ad-Aware 2007 now features a live Ad Watch feature they added in. For antivirus and catching some nasties(malwares) AVG still takes the lead for a free home use product. For retail look at Grisoft or Trend Micro's lineup.

tobywuk

I used to have mcafee back in the day and i quite liked it. I now just use AVG because its free and it does the job.

PC eye

banned
Kaspersky is another free one that sees good reports. The thing I look for here is results whether free or retail. At least when free you don't have to run out to "buy" the next new version out. :D

Jabes

banned
Kaspersky is another free one that sees good reports. The thing I look for here is results whether free or retail. At least when free you don't have to run out to "buy" the next new version out. :D

or you could get it through other ways that we aren't allowed to talk bout :D

PC eye

banned
No matter which one you use there is always "something" that can still slip right past them. There's no such thing as a "one program does all-catches all".