• AVG

Votes: 22 75.9%
  • Other

Votes: 7 24.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PC eye

banned
This is one reason why AVG, Avast, WIN AntiVIR, and others have grown in popularity since the software companies generally sell their professional retail versions to companies while offering free for home use versions as a means of free word of mouth advertising.

g0slacR

This is one reason why AVG, Avast, WIN AntiVIR, and others have grown in popularity since the software companies generally sell their professional retail versions to companies while offering free for home use versions as a means of free word of mouth advertising.
/
do u seriously think they offer freeware for word of mouth advertising?????????

PC eye

banned
Besides seeing a good rep for offering a free version users provide them with comments if anything needs to be improved. The average user is more of a test subject who either provides a satisfactory report or complains on how crap slipped past the level of protection one version offers. You can be sure companies take that into account.

g0slacR

nope, its a business model per se.... they use their free customers to find the virii thus improving their signatures in order to sell to the businesses... worked like a charm for avira.....

PC eye

banned
And how do free customers find viruses? They don't improve product lines by having people find the viruses. They find out from the free users when complaints are heard that the free versions failed to stop them. It's called "feedback".

g0slacR

And how do free customers find viruses?
are u kidding??? the software sends the company all off the infections it finds even payware does this how else do you think they find new viruses to update their signatures?

They don't improve product lines by having people find the viruses. They find out from the free users when complaints are heard that the free versions failed to stop them. It's called "feedback"..
so then what you think is that av companies magically find viruses by uhmmm searching the net? You obviously are not aware of the fact that av's send samples back..in paid versions of av's they give you an option not to participate I know that for sure...I am also pretty sure that part of your freeware usage agreement deems that you have to participate in their software reporting back to them. Make sense?? therefore they can have a HUGE user base constantly keeping their signatures up to date thus making their product superior and enabling them to sell to corporations... if you look at the latest av comparitives review you will see that antivir ranks in the top 5 beating out many paid av's....... how do you think they could accomplish that?? ohh and user feedback?? have u ever reported to any freeware company about what u think about their product?? have they ever asked you?? lol come on man

PC eye

banned
I think you are a little confused when saying sending samples and must provide feedback? The people that provide data are those who sign up for beta testing the infinished product not those that simply run a free version of some program. I've beta tested different programs here over the years. That includes the latest Ad-Aware 2007 now seen "free".

g0slacR

I think you are a little confused when saying sending samples and must provide feedback? The people that provide data are those who sign up for beta testing the infinished product not those that simply run a free version of some program. I've beta tested different programs here over the years. That includes the latest Ad-Aware 2007 now seen "free".
and the saga continues...good lord you just have no clue.... I give up

PC eye

banned
On many softwares besides antivirus programs you will see the option of submitting a report if a problem comes up. For Windows that will occasionally open an MS page with a description of the possible remedy. As far as Grisoft is concerned no samples have ever been sent for participation like you might see with certain sharewares or when signing up for beta testing where you receive those on a voluntary basis.

koolkid12349

uhhhhm, big diff between free and shareware

correct me if im wrong, but shareware is an object obtained on a "free trial" type basis, while freeware is something such as avg or spybot search and destroy therefor pc eye was correct in what he was saying?

PC eye

banned
no, he said kaspersky was free, it isn't

"Free to try out" means shareware or trial period in order to evaluate before purchase of the full retail version. Often when looking for free program sharewares will be listed as free to download while still being a trial version of something.

g0slacR

originally posted by pceye
Kaspersky is another free one that sees good reports. At least when free you don't have to run out to "buy" the next new version out.
well thats not how it sounded here u said it was free why do u keep arguing?

"Free to try out" means shareware or trial period in order to evaluate before purchase of the full retail version. Often when looking for free program sharewares will be listed as free to download while still being a trial version of something.

so then all software is free since pretty much all software has trial offers.. you don't make sense at all there is freeware and payware thats it!!!

PC eye

banned
AOL Offers Free Antivirus Powered By Kaspersky http://cybernetnews.com/2006/08/08/aol-offers-free-antivirus-powered-by-kaspersky/

and now AOL drops free Kaspersky AV, offers McAfee http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/080807-aol-drops-free-kaspersky-av.html?fsrc=rss-security

What that means is plain and simple. It depends on how you get your antivirus program. AOL users got Kaspersky "free". But since I have never neen an AOL user I'll just have to stay with AVG. For non AOL users and now AOL users it seems you would try the 14day trial version while before it was freely provided by the online service for customers. McAFee is also found free with some services while that's a retail product.