Mechanical HDD Question

Hello,

I am looking to buy a bigger HDD for application install/storage. I was thinking in getting a 2TB drive and split it into 2 - 1TB partitions. I would like to know if it made any difference if I got the WD Green 2TB or the WD Black 2TB. These drives are just backup/extended drives. Already have an SSD for boot.

Being that the Green is 5400rpm and Black is 7200rpm. I wasn't sure if it made a difference being the backup/extended storage drive.

Any information is appreciated. Thank you.

beers

Staff member
Green are usually more suited for bulk storage like videos or backups. If you're going to be loading applications or games off of the drive you'd see the Black perform to a higher degree.

If you per chance were considering an array, definitely avoid Green in that instance. Otherwise no bigs between the two. The green tends to head park a lot more so you may have to wait for it to spin back up if it's infrequently accessed.

Thank you for your quick response.

I guess I will just consider getting the WD Black. Quite an expensive drive for 2TB but I feel more comfortable getting WD drives then any others.

Green are usually more suited for bulk storage like videos or backups. If you're going to be loading applications or games off of the drive you'd see the Black perform to a higher degree.

If you per chance were considering an array, definitely avoid Green in that instance. Otherwise no bigs between the two. The green tends to head park a lot more so you may have to wait for it to spin back up if it's infrequently accessed.

Hi,

Sorry to bother you again, I wanted to do another comparison. I thought about it and I didn't need a 2TB drive. I think a 1TB drive will do for me.

In comparison with the WD Blue and WD Black, Does black still be the chosen one for application/games installation?

Thank you again!

beers

Staff member
Eh, they're more or less comparable. I think the Black gives you a longer warranty, but the Blues (model ending in EZEX for 1 TB) are just as fast.

Darren

Staff member
Eh, they're more or less comparable. I think the Black gives you a longer warranty, but the Blues (model ending in EZEX for 1 TB) are just as fast.

And typically you can find them at a marginally cheaper price than the Blacks. Unless the warranty life is that important to you, just grab a Blue.