media pc's

mylkii

Hello all,

I'm contemplating buying a media pc. Does anyone have one, what brand and how do you like it?

Thanx in advance.................

PcBoss

Firstly welcome as i can see it is your first post :) What ever you do,,, Do not buy gateway media pc's, I know that the are giving free plasma TV display screens with there pc's but still dont.

I used to have one and i sold it, There media pc's itself needs improvements on the os, Buying a media pc from gateway will be waste of your money... I would like to point out that you will save some gas bills thought, gateway pc's can help heat your house in the winter and its load humming can scare household pest. :mad:

The only thing good about the one that i had sold was the great 42inc plasma tv display screen, it really do have sharp graphics, NOTHING ELSE was good. :(

Regards

PcBoss

mylkii

wow....I've never heard anything bad about the Gateway. That's as bad as it can get (& funny too!). So far, I'm checking into Viewsonic, HP and Systemax.

Flash_AAA

Compaq will allow you to upgrade your computer which i think is cool. Alot of there cases have a thumb screw and the side slides out. Most companies dont let you do that (DELL!!! THEY PUT RIVETS IN MY CASE) they'll void your warrenty

PcBoss

virz said:
DIY(Do-It-Yourself) system. The best system you will get. I will avoid brand names.

Totally agreed!!! why dont you build your own, its more fun and has a different feeling when your on a computer that you know you built, Because you know what is what!!! :)

Regards

PcBoss

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
what is media PC. Is it the same like PC, or not??
Typically a small form-factor computer designed to be interfaced with a TV both hardware and software designed to play and record TV. ALso, there are OSes designed specifically for such applications, the most easily recognizable being Windows Media Centre Edition.

Realistically, if you run a computer with a TV tuner and Video-In you've pretty much got a Media PC. This is prolly one of the more reconizable setups:
S_6251.gif

PcBoss

The links that Flash_AAA has put out will help you alot in building your own media pc. make sure you check them all out and read careful if its your first time building. :cool:

You dont want to screw things up, its also annoying when you have to start everything all over again :D

Regards

PcBoss

charly

no barbones -> NEVER

:eek:
never a barbone with radio + tv + pc in one case !
we got 2 for testing
1st one is from MSI and makes good music, but in pc mode it hangs once an hour cuz of overheating !
2nd is an ASUS and makes same troubles :(

better an oversized case and a good cooling than a small one what fits on the table.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1st one is from MSI and makes good music, but in pc mode it hangs once an hour cuz of overheating !
2nd is an ASUS and makes same troubles
Well all thing considering, processing TV signals isnt that processor intensive as to kick up the heat... and them dinky cases and fans dont (typically) have the cooling capacity to handle that kinda heat output. There ARE configs out there for the shuttlePCs that can handle themselves very well cooling and performance-wise

Fure6

Flash_AAA said:
Compaq will allow you to upgrade your computer which i think is cool. Alot of there cases have a thumb screw and the side slides out. Most companies dont let you do that (DELL!!! THEY PUT RIVETS IN MY CASE) they'll void your warrenty
what? how old is that pc? i have a dell demention 4100 and it has one thumb type screw on the back and it's super easy to open...no warranty viodage for my dell! :)