Media Server

tomb08uk

Hi All,

I want to get a media server setup within my home. I have a few questions and queries I hope you all can help me with.

The uses I want to have out of it are:

Backup
Downloading
Media streaming to TV/XBOX

First questions is do I have to have a static IP to be able to put the media server on my network?

Secondly is their any good websites anyone knows of where you can buy them other than people like Dell, HP..?

Thirdly do most media servers usually run on Windows Server 2003?

Also I have a laptop which what I would like to is be able to have it setup that so I login on the laptop which logs into the server so like most business use a application distrubtiion so that the software is all installed on the server and just distrubuted to the laptop...is that easy to setup?

Sorry for all the questions, just hope someone can help out.

Cheers

tlarkin

VIP Member
Hi All,

I want to get a media server setup within my home. I have a few questions and queries I hope you all can help me with.

The uses I want to have out of it are:

Backup
Downloading
Media streaming to TV/XBOX

Easily done with the right hardware. You will want compatible video and audio out to your home entertainment system.

First questions is do I have to have a static IP to be able to put the media server on my network?

No.

Secondly is their any good websites anyone knows of where you can buy them other than people like Dell, HP..?

Do a google search for HTPC and you will see all the ones that are prebuilt by manufacturers.

Thirdly do most media servers usually run on Windows Server 2003?
No, they run consumer level OSes.

Also I have a laptop which what I would like to is be able to have it setup that so I login on the laptop which logs into the server so like most business use a application distrubtiion so that the software is all installed on the server and just distrubuted to the laptop...is that easy to setup?

Depending on what you do, depends on how you accomplish this. The easiest way would be a remote desktop or VNC connection from your laptop to your HTPC.

Sorry for all the questions, just hope someone can help out.

Cheers

No problem that is what forums are for.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I personally dis like Dells. I would build my own, or buy a Powerspec or an HP business class. However, my opinions are biased because I have been a warranty tech for years and have repaired all those machines in the past.