Medical school laptop

andytuki

Hi, I'm looking for a laptop for medical school and need your recommendations for a laptop. I will be downloading all my textbooks and will need a big screen (preferably with LED as it's easier on the eyes). Also it needs to be portable and have 6+ battery life. I'll be taking it to school/library everyday.

Other than school, I'd use it to watch videos on youtube.

A friend recommended the macbook, but I don't want to pay those prices if I don't need to. Can someone recommend any other options that has the features that I listed? Thanks

Quiltface

If you want 6+ hours and a big screen you are going to have to buy a bigger battery for the laptop. any laptop you would get would be fine, like i said you might have a hard time getting 6 hours out of a laptops battery with a large screen. what size screen do you want?

What you are wanting is a basic laptop generally so besides a netbook almost every laptop out there will at least meet your requirements.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146706

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220693

Drenlin

There are lots and lots of reasons, for one the screens are way better.
How so?

Asus Pros-
Better Processor (2.26GHz i3 vs 2.26GHz C2D)
Twice the RAM (4GB vs 2GB)
Roughly $250 cheaper (3/4 the price)
Bigger screen by .7"
Larger hard drive by 100GB
Better resolution (1366 x 768 vs 1280 x 800)

Mac Pros-
Better battery life (unconfirmed, but 7 hrs is hard to top)
Smaller and lighter
Better IGP

I doubt that the Asus has a restrictive battery life, even if it doesn't match the macbook, and the IGP upgrade won't make a big difference unless for some reason he's trying to play games. The ASUS is larger, but a 14" computer is by no means prohibitively large. He wanted a big screen anyway.

I think the answer is pretty clear here.

Last edited:

daisymtc

What is your budget?
What is your priority? Battery/ portable or Screen?
You can't have both.

If you want long battery life and portable, you need to find CPU like SU7300/ SU9400. But the screen is relatively small.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...deValue=394:43786&PropertyCodeValue=394:43787
The solution would be buy a 23" monitor and plug that in when you doing the study. (Or buy an ipad for reading?)

Or if your priority is screen, just find something with large screen, like 16" - 17". And CPU with core i3/ i5/ i7. For extra battery life, just buy another battery.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...deValue=398:15467&PropertyCodeValue=398:47205

tlarkin

VIP Member
Dren

I don't like getting into these debates because even if I prove you wrong, you most likely won't listen. People tend to have a slant either for or against Macs. The screens are not equal and the Mac screen is way better. It is better by simply supporting In-plane switching, or IPS technology. Which is more expensive, but higher quality color contrast. Goolge it and read up on IPS monitors versus non IPS and then look at the price ranges.

That may or may not be a deal breaker for some people, but when you write code on your laptop for hours at a time, the better the screen the way better it is on your eyes.

Drenlin

Reading our argument will help TS see both sides of it, though.

I'm well aware of what an IPS screen is. IPS screens are among the best available in image quality. However, while not an IPS, the screen in the ASUS isn't exactly bad, and the difference in eye-strain between them should be negligible. And besides that, the PC is better in nearly every other way. I just don't see how the Mac has any significant advantage in this situation.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
Reading our argument will help TS see both sides of it, though.

I'm well aware of what an IPS screen is. IPS screens are among the best available in image quality. However, while not an IPS, the screen in the ASUS isn't exactly bad, and the difference in eye-strain between them should be negligible. And besides that, the PC is better in nearly every other way. I just don't see how the Mac has any significant advantage in this situation.

The mac has everything you would ever need, and features that come into play that make it a great product. Also, it is built from the ground up, so even lower spec it can still compete with that laptop. Specs aren't the end all be all stat on ho well a computer performs. I run only 1 gig of RAM in my iMac at work. I am running 9 apps right now at once, with only 1 gig of RAM. It is still snappy and fast. That is because Macs have a higher quality control of their product, since they design everything from the ground up. That is why my lower spec Macbook Pro compared to my quadcore desktop, which is over twice the machine, runs along side it with significant paralleled performance.

I could say, man you can buy this KIA with a V6 in it and it has better horse power and specs than say that 4 banger BMW. However, we both know that the BMW will most likely out perform the KIA in every aspect, because it is built up from the ground and engineered to do so.

There have been benchmarks that show high spec PCs running tasks in Windows at the same speeds, and sometimes slower than lower hardware spec Macs.

Hardware is always surpassing software in this day and age, because developers are always catching up to the latest and greatest hardware specs. Look at the PS3, look at the specs, can Sony actually utilize all the power of their 7 core cell processor? No, they aren't really even scratching the surface of what the PS3 can really do. That is a closed system, running an OS specifically designed for one specific task, playing multimedia and video games. If they can't accomplish it, what makes you think Microsoft can?

Computers are all about features, specs, benefits, and overall cost of ownership. It is no longer about clock speed. Most modern processors barely scratch the 3Ghz range of clock speed. That is because they found it more beneficial to improve the instruction sets, floating point, cache and other processor specific features than just the clock speed. This also allows them to keep the processors at lower temps and keep the power consumption lower. The current laws of thermodynamics state that no matter what the input is, some of it is always lost in the output. I have no doubt that some day technology will make this law legacy, and no longer a valid law, but I don't think we are quite there yet.

The whole reason they sell you on specs is to keep the market going, and keep in mind you always need to upgrade. When in reality if they improved existing technology they could make it faster and more efficient for a lot longer period of time. However, the business model is to make money, not improve older products and technology.

Overall, the Mac laptop is superior in that fashion. It consumes less power, performs on par with laptops that have higher specs, has all features you would ever want, uses the highest quality of parts, and the overall cost of ownership is cheaper than the PC, because it will last longer and has a higher resell value.

It does come down to personal preference though, so I am not trying to be an evangelist here, just stating what I think the computer is actually worth in overall value.

tlarkin

VIP Member
That statement alone is false. The hardware won't be powerful enough in due time, especially on a mac. There was a time when 256mb was huge for ram specs. :rolleyes:

Again, you have no idea what I even wrote, you are just responding to one sentence I wrote. I was also referring the everything you need with in the life of the product. Everything has an end of life, that is assumed.

Drenlin

The mac has everything you would ever need, and features that come into play that make it a great product.
As if that Asus I posted doesn't have good features? Honestly, you're going to be hard-pressed to find a laptop that doesn't have useful features on it, and IMO the Asus's set of features is better.

Also, it is built from the ground up, so even lower spec it can still compete with that laptop. Specs aren't the end all be all stat on ho well a computer performs. I run only 1 gig of RAM in my iMac at work. I am running 9 apps right now at once, with only 1 gig of RAM. It is still snappy and fast. That is because Macs have a higher quality control of their product, since they design everything from the ground up. That is why my lower spec Macbook Pro compared to my quadcore desktop, which is over twice the machine, runs along side it with significant paralleled performance.

I could say, man you can buy this KIA with a V6 in it and it has better horse power and specs than say that 4 banger BMW. However, we both know that the BMW will most likely out perform the KIA in every aspect, because it is built up from the ground and engineered to do so.
Maybe in simple tasks, but unless you've got a really old C2Q, I'd wager that the mac would lose in a contest of power. There's no getting around the fact that the quad core has more power available.

Also, a Kia generally won't beat a BMW, but a BMW is generally performance-oriented and about twice the price of a Kia, whereas Kia models are usually geared towards efficiency. The only BMW that can top 30mpg right now is a $40k Diesel.

There have been benchmarks that show high spec PCs running tasks in Windows at the same speeds, and sometimes slower than lower hardware spec Macs.
Mind showing me one? I seriously doubt that a C2D is going to outperform a Nehalem CPU.

Hardware is always surpassing software in this day and age, because developers are always catching up to the latest and greatest hardware specs. Look at the PS3, look at the specs, can Sony actually utilize all the power of their 7 core cell processor? No, they aren't really even scratching the surface of what the PS3 can really do. That is a closed system, running an OS specifically designed for one specific task, playing multimedia and video games. If they can't accomplish it, what makes you think Microsoft can?
The OS doesn't determine how efficiently the hardware is used...if someone wanted to program a game to take full advantage of the Cell processor, they could. There are plenty of programs that take full advantage of a computer's hardware. So yes, microsoft can do it. In fact, Windows is able to make better use of the Mac's GPU than OS/X, which for some reason can only allocate 256MB to it.

Computers are all about features, specs, benefits, and overall cost of ownership. It is no longer about clock speed. Most modern processors barely scratch the 3Ghz range of clock speed. That is because they found it more beneficial to improve the instruction sets, floating point, cache and other processor specific features than just the clock speed. This also allows them to keep the processors at lower temps and keep the power consumption lower. The current laws of thermodynamics state that no matter what the input is, some of it is always lost in the output. I have no doubt that some day technology will make this law legacy, and no longer a valid law, but I don't think we are quite there yet.
Indeed. That's why the i3 is able to perform so much better than the much older C2D. You're not helping your argument here.

I wish TS would come back and clarify on what exactly he needs...that'd decide things rather quickly.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
I am sorry but an OS directly affects your performance, what do you think is handling all the applications requests? The OS and whatever APIs they are utilizing to access hardware.

Drenlin

It does, but the OS is almost never the bottleneck. Usually it's how well the individual program is optimized. Just look at Crysis...

tlarkin

VIP Member
It does, but the OS is almost never the bottleneck. Usually it's how well the individual program is optimized. Just look at Crysis...

Poor coding is poor coding, sure, but you can only perform as well as your OS allows it, since it controls all the resources. Look, this is exactly why I don't have these discussions anymore, because people don't listen to whatever it is I write.

A Mac is worth every bit of it's cost. It may have slightly lower specs, but is overall a better machine on average. I think Asus make good laptops, for the most part. I am not saying that laptop is bad. Mobility is another feature people don't take into account.

It really comes down to preference, but to say that the Asus is a higher quality machine and can out perform the Mac in every way is not really a true statement, and to be honest they are almost impossible to compare in some aspects.

I am sure you will have a rebuttal to this, but again I will either have to ignore it or disprove it. If you use the search function I recently posted a link in another thread about Macs that had a few links where someone put benchmarks up of all the current mac models versus similar and higher spec PC models of competitors.

Drenlin

I never said it was higher quality. Most of the Mac's active components are the same or similar to PC laptops, but the shell, screen, touchpad, etc, are only rivaled by a few other very expensive brands.

As far as which one performs better, it's a tossup on many things. OS/X tends to make better use of the CPU, while Win7 is better with the GPU. That's not a concrete statement, since obviously it does depend on which platform the program was optimized for, and what was used to code it. The end result, however, is usually either negligible or not a big deal. For the most part, the only really big advantage of OS/X that the end user will really notice is the battery life. The rest will be mostly due to hardware.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I never said it was higher quality. Most of the Mac's active components are the same or similar to PC laptops, but the shell, screen, touchpad, etc, are only rivaled by a few other very expensive brands.

As far as which one performs better, it's a tossup on many things. OS/X tends to make better use of the CPU, while Win7 is better with the GPU. That's not a concrete statement, since obviously it does depend on which platform the program was optimized for, and what was used to code it. The end result, however, is usually either negligible or not a big deal. For the most part, the only really big advantage of OS/X that the end user will really notice is the battery life. The rest will be mostly due to hardware.

Where are you getting these "Windows utilizes the GPU," better concepts from? They do the same thing, except instead of only supporting a proprietary set of APIs, like Windows does, OS X uses Open GL for just about everything. Now, there are some more specific and robust things developers can do with Core Animation, which is like Apple's version of DirectX. If you are referring to the Open GL rendering that supports GPU acceleration in Adobe products, that is also supported on the Mac platform.

What do you mean, better utilizes the GPU? If by more video games, then yes, that the PC does in fact have.

If it was all 100% about hardware, then tell me, why does my MBP which is half the spec of my desktop run almost as fast as it does, or how my iMac at work runs everything it does with only 1 gig of RAM? How a 5+ year old Mac can run 10.5. What 5+ year old PC can run Vista, and actually run it well?

Hardware is only part of what makes a computer system overall.

Ethan3.14159

How so?

Asus Pros-
Better Processor (2.26GHz i3 vs 2.26GHz C2D)
Twice the RAM (4GB vs 2GB)
Roughly $250 cheaper (3/4 the price)
Bigger screen by .7"
Larger hard drive by 100GB
Better resolution (1366 x 768 vs 1280 x 800)

Mac Pros-
Better battery life (unconfirmed, but 7 hrs is hard to top)
Smaller and lighter
Better IGP

I doubt that the Asus has a restrictive battery life, even if it doesn't match the macbook, and the IGP upgrade won't make a big difference unless for some reason he's trying to play games. The ASUS is larger, but a 14" computer is by no means prohibitively large. He wanted a big screen anyway.

I think the answer is pretty clear here.
You're forgetting a lot of things. The Asus is made of plastic, while the Macbook is unibody polycarbonate. (or unibody aluminum in the Macbook Pro) Much stronger, and just as light. The Macbook has a light senstive, backlit keyboard. The Macbook has much larger Multitouch Pad. I hate laptops that waste space with useless media keys, and then turn around with a tiny touchpad.

Those reasons, plus all of the reasons mentioned, 7 Hours battery, IPS LED screen, more streamlined OS, etc, make the Macbook far better value than the Asus.