MegaUpload taken down

wolfeking

banned
nope. Their server is down, tested via IP.
untitled-37.jpg

wolfeking

banned
ah, ok. It seems that the IP tied to "megaupload.com" is a different one from the new site there. Though the new one pinged 100% loss too. I couldn't test as Im at school and they don't allow us to dial in to it. Says "blocked due to: Malicious Site".

Geoff

VIP Member
Yeah I heard that too.

And apparently what the feds did was just remove the nameservers from the MegaUpload domain - you can still get to it via the IP address, or so I heard.
The government(s) seized Kim Dotcom's assets, including servers and his major partners.

claptonman

I doubt they'll get anywhere with this. He'll just name all the internet service providers as co-defendents, since they contributed by storing the material on their servers before reaching the endpoint. And probably name youtube also. They'll be so full of paperwork they'll drop the suit. Then, if he's smart, he'll host the site in another country.

Geoff

VIP Member
I doubt they'll get anywhere with this. He'll just name all the internet service providers as co-defendents, since they contributed by storing the material on their servers before reaching the endpoint. And probably name youtube also. They'll be so full of paperwork they'll drop the suit. Then, if he's smart, he'll host the site in another country.
He was hosting the content in several countries, without servers in the U.S. the speeds here would have been horrible.

Punk

Staff member
This intervention is pure BS, I mean the website wasn't illegal, it was SOME of the content stored by users. As long as he didn't store any illegal files, he should be fine. He even had the "report abuse" button. If he gets proven guilty because of the website, then you can arrest all the ISPs who provides internet access to pirates...

Geoff

VIP Member
This intervention is pure BS, I mean the website wasn't illegal, it was SOME of the content stored by users. As long as he didn't store any illegal files, he should be fine. He even had the "report abuse" button. If he gets proven guilty because of the website, then you can arrest all the ISPs who provides internet access to pirates...
He had all the data stored on his servers, most of which was illegal - so yes, it's still his fault.