Memory And Disk usage high

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Can't even find that model on msi website. You can try removing reinserting both ram sticks in opposite slots, resetting cmos may help. But something is going on.

Tim721

ok im going to rest the cmos and take out the ram and them put it back in. Ill get back to you in a moment.

Tim721

yea JBAT1 on the motherboard I'snt there. I reinstalled the ram sticks still not reading. out of luck...

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Try resetting cmos this way. While power is off, unplug power from power supply, remove cmos battery from motherboard, press and hold the power button on case for 10 seconds. Then wait 10 minutes. Then reinsert battery, reconnect power and try booting up. Even the manual doesn't say where the reset cmos jumper is. So lame.

Tim721

Thank you for the help by the way! I'm just going to get new parts. I picked them out online. I just don't want to deal with failing parts. Also would you recommend me keeping my hardrive with the new ssd I'm going to buy now? Thanks!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What parts are you going to get? What exact hard drive do you have and how old is it?

Tim721

What parts are you going to get? What exact hard drive do you have and how old is it?
I was going to get the msi 970A Carbon motherboard. Kingston 120gb ssd just form my games. 2x4 8gb ram. So in total that's 16GB with the ones I have now. My harddrive is like 2-3 years old

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Unless you are tight on your budget, it doesn't make sense to stay with AM3+ at this point. Should go AM4 Ryzen. That way you'll be set for years to come. You would need DDR4 ram as well. What kind of budget are you looking at?

Tim721

I was going to get the msi 970A Carbon motherboard. Kingston 120gb ssd just form my games. 2x4 8gb ram. So in total that's 16GB with the ones I have now. My harddrive is like 2-3 years old
Unless you are tight on your budget, it doesn't make sense to stay with AM3+ at this point. Should go AM4 Ryzen. That way you'll be set for years to come. You would need DDR4 ram as well. What kind of budget are you looking at?
i wanted to stay at $220.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah the bootable usb will work but depending on your original license, you may need a new one when installing on a new motherboard. OEM licenses are tied to the motherboard you install it on.
Why stay away from MSI?
I've seen way too many issues from MSI motherboards.

Tim721

Yeah the bootable usb will work but depending on your original license, you may need a new one when installing on a new motherboard. OEM licenses are tied to the motherboard you install it on.

I've seen way too many issues from MSI motherboards.
Oh ok thanks for that