memory dual pack help?

Bigshow1030

Is there anything wrong with putting dual-pack memory chips in a motherboard that does not call for it? Will it still read 1024 mb? I found a good deal for 2 512 chips but they are in a dual pack and I am wanting atleast 1gb of ram........ any help on this? :eek:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
you mean in a dual channel kit? it will read as 1024MB, dual channel kits really mean they are matching pairs (same size, speed) nothing else

Bigshow1030

yes

It is a dual kit....however, I don't necessarily need them to be a dual pack. I was just interested on rather it is going to be able to still read both sticks because in all honesty I know nothing about dual channel and so on :p

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Bigshow1030 said:
It is a dual kit....however, I don't necessarily need them to be a dual pack. I was just interested on rather it is going to be able to still read both sticks because in all honesty I know nothing about dual channel and so on :p
dual channel is just having two 64 bit lanes to the RAM, nothing makes RAM dual channel its a memory controller thing. RAM labelled as dual channel just means that the pair was tested and worked in a dual channel config, it can still be read in 'single channel'

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Why? The socket754 processor you were planning on getting doesnt support dual channel...

Bigshow1030

price

The reason I was asking that question was because I found a really good deal on 1gb worth however it was sold in a dual channel pack............I was inquiring rather or not I could use it. Don't know how to set it up on dual channel and I do realize i dont' even have the ability to do so, I was just wanting to make sure I could still use it ;)

SlothX311

yeah all that means is that you are getting two sticks of 512 MB, this is cheaper than say putting all of that on one stick, so basically you could just buy two sticks of 512 and end up with the same thing......

Yeti

VIP Member
Plus it was a heck of a lot cheaper
A dual pack was cheaper than two of the exact same sticks bought separately? Thats not too common but I guess it can happen, maybe if its on sale or something.