Memory hogs

novicegeek

I spend most of my day attempting to reform gangbangers, but I also fulfill other duties, like overseeing the TV schedule in order to provide them something to do besides cause problems. Therein lies the purpose of this thread. I print off pages from the TitanTV website for them to make their selection of preferred programs, and I reference the TV Guide website to check their choices for appropriateness. The problem is that both websites very quickly consume massive amounts of memory, and I end up closing the sites down two or three times before I'm finished with my task. The other day, it took me 45 minutes to print off a week's worth of programming (9am to 11pm), partly because I had tremendous problems with the print button (clicking several times on the button before the print dialog box appeared. When I pull up task manager, I've seen as high as 2.7 GB usage. This occurs with either IE or Firefox (sorry, that's the only two I have available, as I'm on a work computer). The computer has an Intel Pentium processor with 4GB of RAM (can't give a lot more details now; I'm at home right now). I only have a couple of add-ons enabled (anti-virus and one Java on both browsers).

Is there something that I can do to speed up this process, and save on my frustration level, or is this just part of what everyone has to deal with, given the constraints I have with the work computer?

Thank you for your input. I appreciate it, and I'm sure there's a lot of gangbangers who would be less willing to shoot you in the face, if they knew you assisted in helping them with their daily entertainment. Okay, obviously, I'm joking about that last part; they don't care. But, again, thank you.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Is there an overabundance of programs running at bootup? Open task manager and find out what process is using up the most ram. What versions of firefox and chrome are you using?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
To be honest unless there is an application or website that is used that needs java, I would get it uninstalled. What OS is on it? I would suggest you have the IT people look at it if its not working properly and you won't be able to do anything with it anyway.