Memory matching

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Without knowing if the timings match to existing ram, then it would be hard to give a definitive answer. Why don't you just buy a new kit of 8gb? Do you really need 12gb?

Dimitri

Well, I could go with 8, but if I can have 12 I'd rather have 12.

So the timings are the main factor? If they don't match is one of the modules not even gonna be used, or what happens?

Laquer Head

Ideally you want matching sticks in either dual or quad channel configuration.

You're proposing pairing an 8GB generic stick of unknown quality/timings..etc with an unmatched stick of not even the same capacity.

I would not recommend doing this ever.

Go buy yourself a decent 4GB x 4GB matching kit or a 8GB + 8GB (System permitting) and be done with it.

I can almost bet you will have issues with that Ebay junk.

Darren

Staff member
What do you actually use the computer for? Do you monitor your RAM usage? If so what's it like? Just find a matching 4GB stick, really doubt you need more than 8GB let alone or 12 or 16.

Dimitri

What do you actually use the computer for? Do you monitor your RAM usage? If so what's it like? Just find a matching 4GB stick, really doubt you need more than 8GB let alone or 12 or 16.

Supposing I chose not to go for the no brand stuff, do I still have to match the sticks? What if I go with a different brand, what are the odds I'd have problems?

JaredDM

Mix matching RAM has a pretty high chance of problems. The last few times I tried it, the motherboard outright refused to work with it. Other times I've tried it, it'd seem to work, but have relentless BSODs at random times. Just spend the extra couple bucks and get a properly matched set of RAM.

beers

Staff member
I'd ditch the apacer and just get a 2x4 GB matching kit.

1333 is pretty slow, you get noticeable compute/gaming benefits at 1866+ for around the same price, assuming it isn't something like a Phenom II build.