memory not enought???

terry wilcox

I have old 133 486 computer with 32 megs memory running win 98 and it will run maintaince once a week. I was gave a Noble AMD K6 400 computer running win 98. It freezes up ever little bit and will not run maintaince. It wil not defrag or run scan disk. I get a not enought memory notice. I have 64 megs memory and disable startup devices but still get the same warning. I was told the computer was like that new. I was told that switches on the motherboard were not set to correctly use the memory perhaps. What do you think? Thanks

Johnnyboy0056

i think based ont he fact that it will not run defrag (hd) or scan disk, it may be a os prob, and i would start by reinstalling the os and see if my hardware is working correctly, and if i still have probs, then look at the memory and stuff (of course ur gonna have to wipe the hd clean-hope that isnt a problem :))

Joefox

Low memory warning message in windows is due to overutilization of memory from programs, typically background processes. This in turn makes leaves little for the PC to run user-based operations. Try uninstalling some programs, eliminating background processes, and unnecessary startup progs.

terry wilcox

out of memory

The computer was free. It was gave to me by the library. When in use at the library no one used it much because if would freeze up ever little bit. There computer geek worked on it and screwed it up so it give message saying something to the effect that it could not find the hard drive.
I brought it home and stuck in my win98 disc and rebooted it. It rebooted fine. I only had limited win98 on the PC. It froze up and I shut it off. When I turned it on it tried to run scandisk but got the out of memory message. I can run Norton disk utilities now but when it freezes and I shut power off and turn back on it will not run scandisk or defrag because of the lack of memory issue.