Memory or Graphics Card?

markw

I can buy either a graphics card (nVidia geforce 5200) or another stick of memory (256 MB). My current system has the following specs:
-Athlon XP 2400+
-256mb Samsung Ram
-DVD-ROM (16x DVD, 48x CDROM)
-VIA Embedded Graphics

Would the graphics card or the RAM give me more speed benefit?

p.s. I don't play games more complicated then AOE2 or CIV3, So its more for general/UI speed.

Thanks!
Mark Watson

Tha Killa

markw said:
I can buy either a graphics card (nVidia geforce 5200) or another stick of memory (256 MB). My current system has the following specs:
-Athlon XP 2400+
-256mb Samsung Ram
-DVD-ROM (16x DVD, 48x CDROM)
-VIA Embedded Graphics

Would the graphics card or the RAM give me more speed benefit?

p.s. I don't play games more complicated then AOE2 or CIV3, So its more for general/UI speed.

Thanks!
Mark Watson

I think that the RAM will help you out more. My brother just got 1 gig of ram for his comp, and hes saying its much faster, and I'm planning on getting a gig of it too.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
The least expensive way to upgrade your computer is by adding RAM to it.

If you are planning on playing graphic intense games then a video is always a plus... but for what you seem to need.. RAM is the best choice.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
If that is true then the RAM is the best route. If you suspect that (your gaming preferences) will change before you upgrade again then get the video card upgrade