Memory problems

paaji

i am new here ok my question is that i have asus p4p8x and i want to upgrade the memory on that one. So i bought 256 3200 400mhz azen memory previously i had 256 3200 400mhz samsung memory. So when i installed the both memories together computer doesn't boot. i put each one at a time computer boots but if i put together it doesn't boot. so took both memories and put into a another computer together with amd cpu it works but not on my computer. Which means memory isn't bad cause it works if i put one at a time. I don't know about the dual and single memory cause if boots together on the other computer with different motherboard then it should work. Maybe this might be the cause but i have no knowledge about it. Another thing i did is put into 1 and 3 and 2 and 4 slots to check out but no luck so i returned the memory and bought another brand which is GB micro and same thing happens. I updated the bios but not sure whether it is right one. I don't what is wrong so please help

paaji

memory thread

thanks for your reply how would i know that both are single sided or double but as far as i know if it is a double then it has black chips on one side not on both. If memory has chips on both side then it is single let me know if i am correct. Ok both of the memories have chips on one side which will make them double i guess. i need to know further need to check let me know when i turn on with one memory only it says single channel something what that means if you let me know thanks

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
thanks for your reply how would i know that both are single sided or double
Double sided = chips on both sides of the DIMM

i need to know further need to check let me know when i turn on with one memory only it says single channel something what that means if you let me know thanks
Single Channel just means you're using a single memory controller (some setups support twin channels working in parallel)

paaji

yeah both of the memories have chips on one side only so they should work is there any setup i can make in bios to correct this like enable single or double channel if can please let me know Also i tried all the combinations like blue and blue (1 and 3)still doesn't work thanks