Memory stick loses files but not folders

ohdearme

Hello everyone

My memory stick has suddenly shown folders only. No files,like word, individual photos, music tracks or pdf files, just folders.

I am really disturbed about this. Usually careful, I would not delete in this manner.

Please help

Regards

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What is inside the folders? Never heard of files disappearing on their own before without user intervention.

ohdearme

Thanks for replying John. Yes, I had considered that I had deleted them accidentally, but, I'm not usually careless and anyway, why files and not folders?

So I have illiminated that reason.
Your question. In the folders are files. All fine. Photos, letters, pdf files.

Hope you can help.
Best

What type of memory stick (storage size and brand) and has it sit for several years unused?
The only time I ever lost data was on a cheap usb stick I used once and left unused for 8 years, nothing recoverable after that because of data rot

ohdearme

It's a Topsel stick which I've had for about a year and a half. 16Gb. I forget where I bought it.

Maybe, you've been lucky. I have had failure of flash drives, sticks etc and veeery rarely. Nevertheless it has taught me not to trust computers, so I
use three every day and another drive once a week.

Regards

Darren

Staff member
USB sticks fail all the time, particularly no name brands like that one. About the last storage medium you want to use for backups.

Darren

Staff member
Thanks Darren. Goodness you're up early.

Your comment is interesting. What do you use for your backups?
I work overnight and am completely nocturnal so this is midday for me. :D

I have a NAS setup at home that I park any important documents and pictures on, although frankly I don't have a lot. It's more used for serving my Plex library. I also have my My Documents folder mirrored to OneDrive as well (which Windows does by default) as an offsite backup should my house burn down or similar.

USB drives should be used to move files around easily between devices. They are not long term storage. The flash memory itself on the drive usually doesn't really degrade, but physical damage frequently causes them to stop being readable, even if it's just wear over time from unplugging and replugging. They're also easily lost.

An external HDD might be a good idea. Although no backup solution is truly backed up unless you have an offsite copy to account for site failures like a fire, natural disaster, break in, etc. This is usually accomplished with a cloud service like OneDrive.

beers

Staff member
I’d also make copies of whatever’s on your stick, relying on it as a sole source of data integrity will let you down eventually.

ohdearme

Yes, Beers, (I'll have one please! Thanks to advice from all of you, I now have a portable hard drive and two memory sticks plugged in adn removed when my wife and I go out. Furthermore a big hard drive, backed up, once a week. BIG CAVEAT> If my stuff goes onto a cloud site, it can be viewed taken off and used.
Best to all

ohdearme

I never thought of that. Thank you. How do I go about it Beers? If you could just point me in the right direction.....

Alan

beers

Staff member
I usually just use Linux utilities like piping the file through openssl at whatever cipher.

Something like Veracrypt would let you create an encrypted container that you could place files into (shows up as a drive letter when mounted).

You can also use things like 7z which is a compression utility, but gives you the option to password protect your archive and encrypts with aes256.