memory upgrade question

Dirkgently

Hi, I have a new Acer laptop with 2x 256Mb RAM (SoDIMM, 133MHz, CL2.5, 144 pin) I have bought 1x 1Gb module to replace one of my 256Mb ones. A friend is trying to upgrade the memory in his (old) Sony Vaio laptop. It uses SoDIMM, PC100, 100MHz. Is my 256Mb module backwards compatable, ie will it work in his older machine? Thanks for any help you can give.

alanuofm

VIP Member
Dirkgently said:
Hi, I have a new Acer laptop with 2x 256Mb RAM (SoDIMM, 133MHz, CL2.5, 144 pin) I have bought 1x 1Gb module to replace one of my 256Mb ones. A friend is trying to upgrade the memory in his (old) Sony Vaio laptop. It uses SoDIMM, PC100, 100MHz. Is my 256Mb module backwards compatable, ie will it work in his older machine? Thanks for any help you can give.

they are the same pin count so it should work.

Dirkgently

erm... I think I have found a technical hitch... I think the Vaio memory will be 144 pin, and the Acer memory is 200 pin. Never mind :confused:

alanuofm

VIP Member
Dirkgently said:
erm... I think I have found a technical hitch... I think the Vaio memory will be 144 pin, and the Acer memory is 200 pin. Never mind :confused:

opps didnt catch the "new" acer laptop. in that case it probably uses the newer 200 pin so-dimm. and the 133 is the ddr266 which is pc2100.