memory upgrade

surajvuk

hello, i need a simple question answered please, possibly someone who has tried and has experience.

someone has asked me to upgrade a desktop computer memory (sony viao desktop) and going on to crucial website i found out what the motherboard is currently holding, has one slot free and its ddr ram type.

currently the motherboard holds one module of 512mb and has another slot free. The maximum the motherboard can support is 1gb acccording to the crucials website.

can i insert a 1gb module into that free slot making the total memory to 1536?
or
can i remove the current 512mb and replace it with a 1gb module
or
do i have to insert another 512mb?

i ask this question as i have 1gb module which im not using and rather than buy a new one i can utilise the current one.

ScOuT

VIP Member
What is the exact model of the computer? I have a hard time believing the maximum memory the motherboard can support is only 1GB. I have not seen that in a LONG time! Back when 256MB RAM sticks were insane big, fast and very expensive.

Once I get the model then I do some looking around for ya :D

surajvuk

Im sorry i did not take the model number, i only took the information regarding RAM via crucial website.

the module it supports is ddr pc2700 or max of ddr pc3200.

i already got 1gb ddr 400mhz not sure if its pc2700 or pc3200.

The computer was bought in 2002 so its 9 years old. and i already been to the customers house and do not want to go back to ask for additional info.
i get few customers via word of mouth now and then.

Benny Boy

hello, i need a simple question answered please, possibly someone who has tried and has experience.

someone has asked me to upgrade a desktop computer memory (sony viao desktop) and going on to crucial website i found out what the motherboard is currently holding, has one slot free and its ddr ram type.

currently the motherboard holds one module of 512mb and has another slot free. The maximum the motherboard can support is 1gb acccording to the crucials website.

1)can i insert a 1gb module into that free slot making the total memory to 1536?
or
2)can i remove the current 512mb and replace it with a 1gb module
or
3)do i have to insert another 512mb?

i ask this question as i have 1gb module which im not using and rather than buy a new one i can utilise the current one.
It only supports 1gb(1024). You don't have to add another 512.
Taking out the 512 and installing the 1GB (400 is pc3200) should be fine if the mb supports it.
I'm thinkin' if the mb supports 333, then that's what the 400 will run at.

StrangleHold

Staff member
If it has a 1gb max memory with two slots. It probably has a 512mb. per slot max. There is a chance it could not read a single 1gb. stick.

OverClocker

512mb is built in I guess. When it says 1gb max, then that it already includes the built in memory. If you put 1gb in the free slot, the MB will just use it as 512mb.

daisymtc

You can download CPU-Z to find out motherboard model number and google to find out if it support 1GB each slot or 512MB each slot.

OverClocker

^ You can also try Belarc Advisor. It is free and it tells you all the details of your machine including the MB.