memory

HotRodderx

i have always heard anything over 1gig is a waste cause windows will not know what to do with it plus 2gigs is not cheap so you might wanna just stick with a 1gig :D

dansilva

if u r running win xp pro optimum ram required is 1024MB (1gb) so 2gb is a waste. also more memory u have it slows ur cpu down. so best go with 1gb of ram

4W4K3

VIP Member
it all depends on what you are doing really. XP only requires 1GB of ram, but what if hes video editing? image mapping? number crunching? all of those kind of intense apps will run better on 2GB than on one. But for a strict gaming rig, 1GB is plenty.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
basically I cant decide between 1gb ddr ram or 2gb modules can anyone help me decide?
No decisions needed. They dont really make 2GB modules (for consumers)

i have always heard anything over 1gig is a waste cause windows will not know what to do with it plus 2gigs is not cheap so you might wanna just stick with a 1gig
You definitely heard wrong :)

if u r running win xp pro optimum ram required is 1024MB (1gb) so 2gb is a waste. also more memory u have it slows ur cpu down. so best go with 1gb of ram
Again.....

XP only requires 1GB of ram
Last time i looked it said 128MB

robina_80

you can get 2*1gb to make 2 or 3*1 to make 3 but im just going to use it for games video things graphics(e.g adobe photoshop) copying cds dvds, and also ive heard if you use to much ram it will decrease your performance

Last edited:

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
I dont know about it running slower although it may but really all you need is about a gig. but that's entirely up to you of course. Usualy it's best to buy pairs for example If you want 1gig then buy 2 512 sticks and run it dual channel.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
ive heard if you use to much ram it will decrease your performance
Depending on the mobo's config your memory will run slower but if your intent is for video operations then more memory is better than faster memory. Of course the speed drop depends on which mobo youve got