Mic Jacks Don't Work

Hey, guys.

Both the front and rear microphone jacks on my S128 HP P6627C-B tower won't work, but both output (headphone/speakers) jacks work. At one point, I heard static noise for a brief moment when I was moving the 3.5 mm mic plug around in the front jack, but it's mostly just silence.

Are both the output and input controlled by the sound card? If so, is it possible that the card is OK but that some connection on the motherboard was severed?

Oh, by the way, I am able to use the mic on a headset that connects through the USB.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Ryan,

Thank you for the suggestion. Actually, just a little while ago, I discovered that it's working! I'm sure I saw no movement on the input meter yesterday, and I'm sure I didn't have the mute button on...

This is a new headset, so maybe something was covering the plug that impeded connection with both the front and rear jacks? This is the only explanation I can think of aside from some software issue with Windows 7, though no change was made to the driver. Before this headset, I had purchase a somewhat cheaply made headset that also had a nonfunctional mic. The 3.5 mm plug on that appeared to not go as far into the jack as the headphone plug, so I figured that was the defect and sent it back. In light of this, I wonder if that fully worked after all.

I know they say to never question a miracle, but I can't help be curious.

Last edited:

turbodiesel

minor problems catch
many people out

i had a some speakers once i couldn't get the satellite speakers to work i soon found out that the power supply wasn't plugged in correctly