Mic Not Working

Metallica17

Okay so I haven't tried my mic in a while, but I sort of want to use it now for some WoW. I have previously tried to use it in Ventrilo and my friends can't hear me talking. I did a test in Windows and it says it is working fine, but when I talk in it nothing happens. I have also had my friend try it in his computer to make sure it actually works and of course it did. I have no idea what to do. Does anyone have any ideas? Any help to get me started would be awesome.

EDIT- I'm just running my sound through my motherboard if that helps. Just thought I would mention it.

Last edited:

bkribbs

Um that sentence makes no sense. I can't find any SoundMax settings. I installed the driver but I have no idea where it is at.

Oh geez. I didn't even read it clearly. Long Day. Sorry. Is it under the sounds and audio in control panel? Then, voice, then advanced?
Like:

Control Panel->Sounds and Audio Devices->Voice->Advanced

EDIT- Someone said that they have it on XP but after upgrading to Vista they didn't. So you may not have it.

Metallica17

Yeah I don't have it. I'm buying Windows 7 tomorrow and getting some RAM so hopefully when I go to Windows 7 it works fine. Thanks for your help though. I appreciate it.

Aastii

VIP Member
If it is 3.5mm jack microphone (pink plug), plug it in, go to:

Control Panel > Sound > recording tab

clap, whistle, talk, whatever, just make a noise and look for which level raises. Whichever one does, single left click it then click set default at the bottom.

Try using it again. If they can't hear you, or hear you faintly, right click the microphone and click properties. Click the levels tab and raise boost to +30db and microphone to ~75, then try again.

If they still can't hear you at all, make sure that the settings in the program is correct. You sid you are using Vent, click settings and set the following:

Use Push to Talk (set your key below)

Input device direct sound checked

Input device, which ever the one is with changing levels in control panel (In my case it is Microphone (VIA High Deffinition Audio))