Microsoft Edge and Operating System

jemster

Hi Everyone, I've just managed to get rid of Microsoft edge and get back to IE but in the process I noticed my operating system seems mysteriously at some point to have changed from Windows 10 back to Windows 8.

How can this be?

I resisted the free offer of Windows 10 for ages but one day it just installed on my PC and I got used to it.

Can I reinstall it free as I had it free in first place?

Many thanks.

_Pete_

How did you get rid of Edge? If you did a system restore or a system reinstall then it could well have reverted your system back to Windows 8. There is nothing wrong with Win 10, at least in comparison to Win 8. You can get an ISO to reinstall Windows 10 from here:- https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10?Search=true That will allow you to download an ISO that you can put on to a USB stick. Reinstalling Windows 10 can be a convoluted affair and be aware that if you go down the route I have suggested you will lose all your personal files and a clean install of Win 10 will be on your computer.

I do not know of any way to get back to Windows 10 as the free upgrade update has ended as far as I know. Getting the ISO is free and reinstalling Win from the software you derive from that ISO will be free but as I have said
YOU WILL LOSE ALL PERSONAL FILES going down that route.

Once you have got Win 10 back on your computer then if you type Intenet Explorer into the search box, left hand side of the task bar, it will bring up IE 11 and you can make a desktop or a task bar shortcut from that for Internet Explorer. It hasn't been removed from Win 10 it has just been hidden so that everyone thinks they have to use that rubbish Edge.

jemster

Hi Pete.

No the OS changed from 10 to 8 BEFORE I got rid of Edge and reverted to IE - I know this because I went in to see if I was 64 bit or 32 bit and I happened to notice it said windows 8.

I changed back to IE by going into SETTINGS/SYSTEM/DEFAULT APPS/IE.

I couldn't stand Edge - what's it supposed to be about! Just inconvenience. I seem ok with windows 8 so think I'll just stay with it for the time being. Many thanks for your help!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yes you can still go to windows 10 just by using the media creation tool, you still get the digital entitlement to it. MS just doesn't advertise it. Or you can even use the assistive technology update to get 10.