Microsoft Update problem

Verrona

Good afternoon. I am asking a question on behalf of my work. I currently have a PC that is running Windows XP SP2. I upgraded the PC to SP3 - by doing this an application (VNC) stopped working for some reason. Either way I uninstalled SP3 and reverted it back to SP2. I have now installed & configured VNC and that's all working fine. However, I keep getting the Automatic update message box appearing saying, "Please restart your computer". I have restarted the computer at least twice, yet the message keeps appearing. I have searched Google and Microsoft TechNet and both weren't that helpful. Does anybody have any ideas?

I had seen a message board post saying to remove a registry key, I tried to do this but it wouldn't let me delete it..

Either way, I have tried to install SP3 to clear this annoying message, but it wont let me as there are pending updates that require the PC to restart. As you can probably imagine this has started to get very annoying.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Verrona

FYI

I deleted the folder "rebootrequired" in the registry. I also changed one of the registry values to 0. Then finally stopped the Windows Firewall service - after all of this, it eventually let me install SP3 again. However, VNC 4.1 no longer runs, it says "unable to connect to host: Connection timed out (10060)". I am currently checking the support pages on VNC's website but still no luck.

URL for registry key and removal of folder:

Any help with the VNC problem would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Verrona

I am not sure exactly what I've done, but VNC seems to be working for me... :confused: I have e-mailed the user that was having the problem to test VNC. I will post any findings.

I had however added VNC viewer and VNC server as trusted applications within Windows Firewall on the PC that I was trying to connect to via VNC.

Will let everyone know the outcome. :)

Verrona

Call Resolved

After adding VNC server and viewer in the exception list of Windows Firewall - it seems to be working now.