Microsofts Kinect!

Hey guys, I am unsure if this has been posted before but I wanted to share some of the things people are now using the Kinect for. Soon we will have polished products out on the market all using Microsofts Kinect in a multitude of different ways.

This company has created a fully working interface thats very "Minority Report" like (I think Swype would be a great add on):

[YT]2HkKcFKzorQ[/YT]

This next one is my favorite. This guy has been able to use the Kinect to manipulate whatever the camera captures in a 3d environment on his computer.

[YT]5-w7UXCAUJE[/YT]

And if you follow this link you can download an earlier version of the software and try it yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/user/okreylos#p/a/u/1/7TGF30-5KuQ

If you guys know of any other cools things using the Kinect please post it here.

Last edited:
Here is another one where a guy is using it for art:

[yt]f-fM1OJxjM0[/yt]

And one of a guy using it as a headtracking system:

[yt]CddvvlP4UNM[/yt]

How about playing an instrument:

[yt]ppHcj15LypM[/yt]

Last edited:

ganzey

banned
looks kinda retarded, i mean, your arms are gonna get tired after holding them out for a while.

I think in general alot of people could use the exercise. It is not healthy to sit and stay in one position all day typing at a computer screen. This could be used to make people more active and use broader ranges of motion to relieve repetitive stress injuries. This is the next thing in computer interfacing.

bomberboysk

Except the fact that a ton of people play games when they are tired, gonna turn them away from gaming if they have to move. And if you're holding your arms out holding...nothing, the number of RSI's will more than likely increase vs. decrease.

Aastii

VIP Member
To say it has a use as exercise is sort of stupid anyway. It isn't really toneing, you aren't doing anything strenuous enough, and it isn't going to build up strength for the same reasons. Exercise doesn't help you to lose weight either, so from a physical health stand, it is pointless.

The feat itself is pretty impressive and very interesting, but it won't catch on, it is more of a "look at what we can do" than "look at what we all should be doing"

just a noob

It doesn't look too bad, but I never use my xbox anyway(we also have a wii) found this video funny as well:
[YT]KWbLOFGSEDo[/YT]

Except the fact that a ton of people play games when they are tired, gonna turn them away from gaming if they have to move. And if you're holding your arms out holding...nothing, the number of RSI's will more than likely increase vs. decrease.

lol you are talking without any facts and making stuff up.

To say it has a use as exercise is sort of stupid anyway. It isn't really toneing, you aren't doing anything strenuous enough, and it isn't going to build up strength for the same reasons. Exercise doesn't help you to lose weight either, so from a physical health stand, it is pointless.

The feat itself is pretty impressive and very interesting, but it won't catch on, it is more of a "look at what we can do" than "look at what we all should be doing"

lol this kind of stuff is why I don't frequent this forum much anymore.

I do not understand where all this negativity about the device is coming from.

kobaj

VIP Member
GUYS!

Can we not have another stupid argument as to whether or not kinect is good for gaming. But the fact that this technology is actually fairly advanced and as THERMAL-REACTOR was pointing out, has real world utility and practicality. (Not all requiring you to hold out your hands and "getting tired" or "exercise" or whatever.)

[yt]7QrnwoO1-8A[/yt]

and

[yt]rYUFu64VXkg[/yt]

GUYS!

Can we not have another stupid argument as to whether or not kinect is good for gaming. But the fact that this technology is actually fairly advanced and as THERMAL-REACTOR was pointing out, has real world utility and practicality. (Not all requiring you to hold out your hands and "getting tired" or "exercise" or whatever.)

[yt]7QrnwoO1-8A[/yt]

and

[yt]rYUFu64VXkg[/yt]

I am glad someone here understands what this all implies. To have this kind of technology available now and for only $150 makes it so accessible by everyone. It's only been out for weeks and look at what they have done already.

Thanks for the ROS video, I had heard of them but could not find any videos.

bomberboysk

lol you are talking without any facts and making stuff up.

Repetitive Strain Injury occurs when the movable parts of the limbs are injured. Repetitive Strain Injury usually caused due to repetitive tasks, incorrect posture, stress and bad ergonomics. Repetitive Strain Injury generally causes numbness, tingling, weakness, stiffing, and swelling and even nerve damage. The chief complaint is the constant pain in the upper limbs, neck, shoulder and back.
Actions with the kinect system are going to be pretty repetitive, holding your arms out without any support for racing games could easily result in RSI, especially in those people who do not heed warnings of proper posture/etc.

awildgoose

Actions with the kinect system are going to be pretty repetitive, holding your arms out without any support for racing games could easily result in RSI, especially in those people who do not heed warnings of proper posture/etc.

Keyboard and mouse are like that, infact "hardcore" gamers barely movie anything other than hands.... well then you get the extremely hardcore gamers who scream at their computer but lets not get into that.

Kinect looks pretty awesome, games would be fun on it I reckon, as in games for when you got friends over and stuff, having a bbq or the yank equivalent. Just fire it up and have a good time. Plus motion tracking stuff is just awesome in my books, so thats a bonus. I reckon there will be some really good stuff coming out of this.

So what are you trying to say? That a keyboard and mouse is better? Kinect would allow so many more new gestures to use that you would have a variety to select from. You could even assign more than one gesture to a common used action so that you could have a variety to choose from.

linkin

VIP Member
I'm not into the whole motion sensitive thing... the most I would do would be buy a joystick or wheel for flying/racing games.

bomberboysk

So what are you trying to say? That a keyboard and mouse is better? Kinect would allow so many more new gestures to use that you would have a variety to select from. You could even assign more than one gesture to a common used action so that you could have a variety to choose from.

Point is, it doesn't elminate/decrease the possibilities of RSI.

Keyboard and mouse aren't exactly the most elegant way to play either(as far as RSI anyhow), not really arguing anything, just rebutting a statement...

I do believe kinect has alot of potential, not disagreeing with that in any way.

linkin

VIP Member
Point is, it doesn't elminate/decrease the possibilities of RSI.

Keyboard and mouse aren't exactly the most elegant way to play either(as far as RSI anyhow), not really arguing anything, just rebutting a statement...

I do believe kinect has alot of potential, not disagreeing with that in any way.

Interesting fact: This family disease I have (actually the medication we take for it, an anti-inflammatory) prevents RSI completely :D

Hyper_Kagome

I saw a video about the Kinect where a guy actually accessed the programming within it and made a video where a simple wooden kendo-like stick was appearing to be a lightsaber on the screen.

Was neat, but the delay reaction in movements was noticeable.

Dystopia

This is probably the first step towards things like in Iron Man, where the guy can take like images and stuff, virtual, 3-d images that you see, and resize and what not. Anyone who has watched either of the Iron Man movies knows what I'm talking about.