Might Need a New Mobo?

Charr

My friend just received a pair of Corsair Dominator 1866 which he bought of eBay, hes very new to computer parts... He has a DDR2 system. I told him he has three options, he can return it, upgrade his computer to DDR3, or sell it, I told him I'd buy it if he'd sell it to me for a good price. He'll sell it to me for $120. I told him I'd think about it. Its a great price for it, but I think it might be a little over the top for the system I was planning to build.

Thanks to joh06937 I was going to buy this motherboard. I was also going to buy Corsair Dominator 1600. To give a brief rundown on what other parts I'm going to have, GTX 460 GPU, either AMD Phenom II X4 3.4GHz or AMD Phenom II X6 3.2GHz and XFX Black Edition 750W PSU. I started off with a pretty bad build, but thanks to you guys its turned out pretty well for a good price. I'm hoping to make a very decent computer which I can overclock to make so it can run the games I play excellently.

When that mobo was suggested I was planning on getting dominator 1600, and didn't have a processor in mind yet, since I planned on upgrading it a few weeks after I build my PC, but I think I might as well just get it now. The motherboard says "DDR3 1866(OC)/1333/1066", so it can handle the 1866, but I plan on OCing my system as much as I can with an air cooled system.

I feel like I'm going nowhere fast with this post, so to summarize; When upgrading from 1600, to 1866 corsair dominator will I have any issues with that mobo? I guess this is also a great time to ask if there's any flaws with my build. Will I be bottle necking anything, should the PSU be sufficient, ect?

Thanks a lot for the help guys, you've helped me build a computer I'm really enjoying building. It wouldn't be nearly as good without the help.

Last edited:

daisymtc

The mobo say it support up to DDR3 1866, but it says need to place in certain slot.
You may consider Asus instead
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131651&cm_re=amd_870-_-13-131-651-_-Product

PSU - that PSU is in good quality, but I don't see you need a 750W for a single GTX 460
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7207007&cm_re=xfx_650w-_-17-207-007-_-Product

CPU - Are you going to OC yourself? If yes, save some money and going for Phenom IIx4 955 / Phenom IIx6 1055T