Minecraft on XBox Live

PohTayToez

Anyone playing it? Yeah, yeah, I know. It's nothing compared to playing the PC version. But if I'm going to be clicking on blocks for hours you can be damn sure it's going to be from the comfort of my living room couch.

Anyway, I got a pretty nice little world going, and I've been leaving it up 24/7 for anyone to join. I plan on setting up a dedicated box soon. If any of you guys are interested add me on XBox Live (PohTayToez).

Aastii

VIP Member
How much is it on Live? If it is cheap I may get it, reclaim my Xbox from downstairs and hook it up to my monitor. Not quite on the couch, but with my system in my bedroom and my desk parallel to my bed... I think you can see where this is going :D

PohTayToez

It's $20 currently (1600 Microsoft Points). Best Buy had it available on their online store for $15, and usually popular arcade games get a "half price weekend" a little bit after release.

Just a FYI, it's a pretty early release compared to where the PC version is. Something like version 1.6 but they're going to be updating it constantly till it's up with the PC version.

BurningSkyline

To be honest, I think it looks like crap and I hate the interface. I personally will not buy it considering I already own the (better) PC version.

The xbox version is 1600msp. (20USD)

PohTayToez

Most people I've talked to that have played both say they greatly prefer the XBox interface. Rather than mix and match ingredients, you just pick what you want to craft, and provided that you have the right pieces for it, you just hit a single button to make it.

All of the complaints I've heard about it revolve around it being an earlier version (which will be slowly remedied) and the level size limit (1024³). Also, I thought the graphics were the same, so not sure what you mean by looks like crap? I did hear one guy say that the draw distance was much better than on his computer, but he had a crappy computer (draw distance isn't great).

Last edited:

Russ88765

Tried it, didn't get the hang of console controllers. I been gaming on pc too long, and to me this game just feels more like it's meant to be controlled with a keyboard and mouse vs a gamepad.

PohTayToez

Tried it, didn't get the hang of console controllers. I been gaming on pc too long, and to me this game just feels more like it's meant to be controlled with a keyboard and mouse vs a gamepad.

Agreed... I mean that's something you can say about any first person game, especially one that was designed specifically for PC.

I'm not really looking to compare PC Minecraft vs XBox Minecraft. There is no doubt that PC version is better. The purpose of this thread is to discuss Minecraft on the XBox 360.

BurningSkyline

Most people I've talked to that have played both say they greatly prefer the XBox interface. Rather than mix and match ingredients, you just pick what you want to craft, and provided that you have the right pieces for it, you just hit a single button to make it.

All of the complaints I've heard about it revolve around it being an earlier version (which will be slowly remedied) and the level size limit (1024³). Also, I thought the graphics were the same, so not sure what you mean by looks like crap? I did hear one guy say that the draw distance was much better than on his computer, but he had a crappy computer (draw distance isn't great).

I'm so used to the game's interface (I've been playing since EARLY Alpha on PC, and I know 90% of the games recipes. I think this game's experience is much better with the Mouse and Keyboard. The controller doesn't have enough buttons. I guess its personal preference.

For the graphics, I find the draw distance is worse on xbox, plus the shadows are terrible. The old shadows on PC were fine, but now they look like the old shadows, just smoothed. Once again, personal preference.

The one thing I will say is better is I find the Multiplayer much better on Xbox. Even though I haven't bought it I have played it and find the Experience much better on PC.

Aastii

VIP Member

I have to agree. I played the trial this afternoon and whilst it was fun, two things I have a problem with massively:

1. The interface. I prefer the PC one where you choose what goes where when crafting. In my server we use Tekkit and even with Crafting Bench II which shows you everything you can make with what is in your inventory and even with the internal database where you can see what is required to make item X, I rarely use it and prefer to just make it.

It is like comparing a GUI to a CLI, if you know how to use a CLI and/or create scripts for it, a lot of the time you can do things faster and more efficiently than the easier to use GUI.

2. Visibility. This is both lighting and the size of all text and interfaces. With the lighting, I don't like that it isn't instant, you can see it fill out rather than just happen and everything seems extremely dark. This could just be that I am used to two bright monitors, but I found myself barely able to see anything.

So far as the text and interfaces go, I was playing on a 1080P 42" TV. With the crafting and inventory interfaces taking up a good 35" of that display, there is no reason I should have struggled to see what was there, even when I moved to within 6" of the screen. Even being short sighted and playing without glasses, it is never like that in any other game or when watching TV.

Overall though the gameplay is pretty good, but as I said, I agree with the previous comments that mouse and keyboard works so much better. I also miss the extra stuff that Tekkit/Technic gives you that really makes it a whole new game what with there being thousands of extra things added.

Aastii

VIP Member
I have a noob question how do you start the furnace?

You need to have a material that burns in the bottom slot, and what you are going to smelt in the top.

Things that can be used as fuel (In order of burn time):

Anything wooden
Coal
Charcoal
Blaze Rod
Lava Bucket

Things you can smelt (and output)

Wood Logs (Charcoal)
Iron Ore (Iron Ingots)
Gold Ore (Gold Ingots)
Cobblestone (Smoothstone)

With enchantments on the furnace you can smelt other stuff, but I don't think that has been implemented into the game yet. I'm not even sure if blazes are in yet, so you might not be able to get or use blaze rods for fuel

Last edited:

Pell

I have purchased minecraft for xbox i think it is brilliant and i will get my money out of it, also i would only recommend this to people who have lots of friends on xbox live which also have it and i wouldnt buy it if you have it for pc. :) Overall - Very Good!

JLuchinski

You need to have a material that burns in the bottom slot, and what you are going to smelt in the top.

Things that can be used as fuel (In order of burn time):

Anything wooden
Coal
Charcoal
Blaze Rod
Lava Bucket

Things you can smelt (and output)

Wood Logs (Charcoal)
Iron Ore (Iron Ingots)
Gold Ore (Gold Ingots)
Cobblestone (Smoothstone)

With enchantments on the furnace you can smelt other stuff, but I don't think that has been implemented into the game yet. I'm not even sure if blazes are in yet, so you might not be able to get or use blaze rods for fuel

OK thanks, I'm guessing I dig to find coal?

PohTayToez

Actually in this version I'm pretty sure that you can only use raw wood as fuel. Use raw wood to fire another piece of raw wood and you get charcoal. Charcoal burns a lot slower than wood so you get a lot more out of one piece and it's more efficient. Coal is the best though since it works in it's raw form and is plentiful underground.

Also, anyone looking to get the achievement: we now have a 500m minecart set up so if you want to friend me and join you can get it easily.

Aastii

VIP Member
OK thanks, I'm guessing I dig to find coal?

You can either dig to find coal, which looks like smoothstone only with black dots, it is really obvious, or if you can't find any coal and need torches, you can build your furnace, cut down the trees and break 1 log into 4 wooden planks. Use 1 of the planks to burn 1 wood log, which will make 1 charcoal, then use that charcoal to make more charcoal from the logs.

Hyper_Kagome

I have it, and love it. Maybe once I get a new PC for my Diablo and Witcher 2 I'll get the PC as well just 'cause.

Only now when I want to play it won't let me collect cobblestone from the stone bricks. It just started, and it's confusing me.

JLuchinski

You can either dig to find coal, which looks like smoothstone only with black dots, it is really obvious, or if you can't find any coal and need torches, you can build your furnace, cut down the trees and break 1 log into 4 wooden planks. Use 1 of the planks to burn 1 wood log, which will make 1 charcoal, then use that charcoal to make more charcoal from the logs.

It worked, thanks. Now when I build a bed as soon as I use it monsters come through the wall. Is this happening to anyone else?