Mini Netbook

hotcrossbuns

My mom has become ill and needs my care. She lives a block away from me and I find myself anxious when I am at her house due to lack of Internet use which I need to perform my investing work.
I need to get a Netbook so I can take to her house and happily care for her without missing the Internet.
She does not have Internet line at her house.
Recommendations, anyone, would be greatly appreciated.

DMGrier

VIP Member
I would recommend Dell mini 9, I just got mine and I have been very impressed with it, the quality was far better than I expected. As far as internet question for your internet question who is your cell phone provider? Depending on your provider and your cell phone you can run your internet through your phone. But the people I have know to do this claimed it to be a little slow but I think that was before most cell phone companies went to 3G. If anything most cell phone companies offer a wireless broad band card but at a price, but you might be able to bundle with them.

bomberboysk

I would get a netbook that has a pcmcia or expresscard slot so you could use a Rangemax style of router (or 802.11n) which has an increased range over standard 802.11b/g and then use that, as one block is not too terribly far for a good router, just make sure its encrypted so that people wont try to connect to it and waste your bandwidth.

bengal85

Go with the dell mini 9 I have seen the specs on those and they are pretty good I am actually looking into getting one of those

tlarkin

VIP Member
Good luck getting signal from a block away. You would need some serious signal boosts. Sorry to hear about your mom.

PabloTeK

I'd do what DMGrier is suggesting and just get a Netbook with 3G built in, it's going to be cheaper than getting the sort of wireless equipment needed to fire a wireless signal a whole block!

tlarkin

VIP Member
Not really cheaper at all. If you use directional antennas or even home brewed directional antennas they have effective ranges of 1500 feet for signals. Then all he would have to do is bridge that into a router or AP at his moms house to distribute signal.

I mean total cost would be two routers, and two directional antennas. Sure up front it be a bit more but over the yearly cost of 3G access (which is like what, 15 per a month?) it would be cheaper I think.

PabloTeK

It is possible, I was thinking of Pay As You Go 3G which we can get over here which might be a little cheaper overall. I have seem some ariels that look like missile launchers that have mental ranges of thousands of feet but they are quite costly here.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Go with the dell mini 9 I have seen the specs on those and they are pretty good I am actually looking into getting one of those

The specs on the mini 9 are the same as most netbooks on the market, unless you get ubuntu then you can get up to 2 GB of memory. I was quiet impressed with the quality of my mini 9 though, Haven't seen ASUS netbook in person but I have seen acer and hp and I think the mini 9 looks far better built.

Last edited:

playdough333

no no no no no no no no
dell mini 9?
no!!!
MSI wind!!!!
its one inch bigger, and a hell of alot cheaper ,
right now
on amazon brand new there going for $309.00
get 1
i am!!!
+webcam+full size keyboard