Minimum psu for crossfire 6850's

SuperDuperMe

Hey all, basically, im upgrading my computer in a few weeks, but intend to crossfire my 6850 later next year, what is the minimum psu required for 2 hd 6850 on a 1090t system with minimal overclocking (if any at all).

I currently have an old corsair hx 620 watt would this be enough or would this be pushing it?

EDIT: just to clarify i mean the absolute minimal amount of money i would have to spend in GBP/UK to get crossfire up and running safetly not minimum watts.

Last edited:

SuperDuperMe

What would be the cheapest route, but safe. Thats probably the major point, being safe with it, i want it to be cheap but not enough to compromise my build.

Do you have any recommendations for the cheapest unit possible without compromising on quality.

Okedokey

The original PSU is fine even with overclocking. The 6850 is by no means powerful. Absolutely no need to buy a new PSU for an additional 3A on the 12V rail. 2 X HD6850 pull a max of 300W (TDP 127W each) when overclocked. Thats 25A, leaving 25A for the rest of the system. Heaps.

If you want to spend $100, add it to your CF 6850 budget and instead get a GTX580. That too will work on this PSU and will be faster for almost all games. You then have the potential to add another in a year or two if you wish.

But either way, if you're happy with the 6850 in CF, thats cool, the current PSU will work just fine.

Last edited: