Mininova Goes Legal

Twist86

Incorrect, just going off an hypothetical number here, lets say for every 2 legal copies of a game, there is a single pirated copy. That is a 33% loss for game creators, who after development costs on the products do not have a large profit margin until a good number of units of the product has sold in the first place. Due to piracy however, they can sell games for what they want, know that many people will still buy the product, and that people will still pirate their products no matter what it costs.

That is the biggest question....just because they pirate it doesn't mean they would buy it if they had to.
So you can't just say those 33% would run out and purchase it because I would wager more then half of those people would simply not buy it or be like me and borrow it from a buddy.

This also would not lead to ANY price cuts and I would bet 2 years after pirating was "over" the games would be either the same price or more expensive because at that point they have us all by the balls.

Last edited:

robina_80

so what mininova has shut down theres louds of other torrent sites and people will still download illegally, everyone does and if they say they dont there LYERS, i do it

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
so what mininova has shut down theres louds of other torrent sites and people will still download illegally, everyone does and if they say they dont there LYERS, i do it

In order for this thread to continue, I'll have to ask that everyone keep their piracy activities to themselves and not discuss them in this thread. Also, I'm not sure how it is in the UK, but here in the states they're cracking down hard on piracy. You CAN get heavily fined and you CAN go to jail. There are companies, like BayTSP, that monitor torrent activity and send millions of takedown notices to ISPs; in turn, those internet providers can report you to the FBI. It's not worth it imo.

robina_80

well its the same in the UK there cracking down, the govermount want ISP's to monitor everything that you do on the internet but the internet people or the campaigners or whatever are putting up a fight so i dont know what will be the outcome but it happens here aswell people get caught fined etc etc dunno bout put in jail

Respital

In order for this thread to continue, I'll have to ask that everyone keep their piracy activities to themselves and not discuss them in this thread. Also, I'm not sure how it is in the UK, but here in the states they're cracking down hard on piracy. You CAN get heavily fined and you CAN go to jail. There are companies, like BayTSP, that monitor torrent activity and send millions of takedown notices to ISPs; in turn, those internet providers can report you to the FBI. It's not worth it imo.

And you guys still call fries, freedom fries. Huh.

Canada for the WIN! :D

Respital

Just as with many other illegal activities, it is monitored. Freedom only extends so far, it is not a freedom to steal from anyone whether it be a person or company.

So then the recording companies and record labels should be jailed because they pay the artists peanuts.

pic_11981663818030.jpg

awildgoose

It's good that this is going legal. I mean, yes there more out there, but any less illegal downloads are good. Game developers spend a lot of time making the game and they deserve to be rewarded. Movie producers and directors spend a heck of a lot of money (even if it's crap) and they also deserve to at least get their money back.
There are a lot of musicians who say "we do it for the fans and music not for money" and if they say that they shouldn't care, but the people who advertised and published them need to be payed etc.

teamhex

Maybe if all this crap wasn't so expensive people would actually buy it.

+1

To anyone thinking about being a pirate(stupid name for it, like their holding someone at gun point....). You can get caught, but it probably wont happen. Company's cant afford to sue each and every person torrenting. Thats why they go after sites. Not only that, but 'Pirates" have programs that block a large amount of IPs. This list is updated daily.
To the company's...you cant stop it. The people will always be a step ahead of you no matter what. Start creating things worth buying or piss off.
Ill be honest. I buy most of my games, but when I buy a game like CoD5 and its crashing and I cant play it correctly until the most recent update...its BS. Iv gotten to the point where I don't want to pay for a game unless its good and/or is an online game.

Last edited:

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
People don't pirate content because it's crap, or even too expensive. They do it because it's easy. The free lunch won't last forever though.

teamhex

People don't pirate content because it's crap, or even too expensive. They do it because it's easy. The free lunch won't last forever though.
Poeple dont pirate because its crap, but it makes them think twice about buying a 60 dollar game that may or may not work on their system(not talking specs).
I'l agree thats one reason, it is easy. I think that even if it gets harder people will still do it. Its mostly because its free. Thats the main reason people pirate. Its to afford game they couldn't normally or don't want to waste money on.

I think the free lunch will last as long as theres people who are passionate and believe you shouldn't pay for software. That or if all games go multiplayer. Like TF2. Its just annoying knowing iv spent probably well over a grand on steam in the last 4 years. Knowing half of those games sucked or weren't worth the money they charged for them.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
In the digital age, I think it's still hard for people to understand that piracy is no different than any other type of theft. Don't get me wrong, I'm def not a propaganda mouthpiece for the MPAA, RIAA or other effected industries, but it really is no different than stealing a book from a bookstore or an album from a music store. Sure, the methods are different, but you're still not compensating the owners that created the content. It's theft, plain and simple. There's no real argument around that, in my opinion. Soon, the technology will be there to prevent it anyway. They're not gonna allow it to go on indefinitely.

Respital

In the digital age, I think it's still hard for people to understand that piracy is no different than any other type of theft. Don't get me wrong, I'm def not a propaganda mouthpiece for the MPAA, RIAA or other effected industries, but it really is no different than stealing a book from a bookstore or an album from a music store. Sure, the methods are different, but you're still not compensating the owners that created the content. It's theft, plain and simple. There's no real argument around that, in my opinion. Soon, the technology will be there to prevent it anyway. They're not gonna allow it to go on indefinitely.

The only thing i have to say is; what's the difference between lending your friend a book, and lending your friend a movie?

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
The only thing i have to say is; what's the difference between lending your friend a book, and lending your friend a movie?

First of all, let's be honest - you're not lending to anyone you know. You're not sharing a file with your friend. You're using an easy, convenient method to own copyrighted material without buying it. You don't know the 100s of people that share these fragments of files. Is there a difference? Maybe, maybe not. I think, technically, there is.

Respital

First of all, let's be honest - you're not lending to anyone you know. You're not sharing a file with your friend. You're using an easy, convenient method to own copyrighted material without buying it. You don't know the 100s of people that share these fragments of files. Is there a difference? Maybe, maybe not. I think, technically, there is.

In the way you share it there is but is it not the same as if you had a friend who bought it who then lends it to you and creates a chain where people pass it on after then finish watching on it?

teamhex

You never really own a movie. If you cant make copy's its not really yours now is it? Your renting it permanently from its owner. Its not stealing, it was completely legal to "download" until they enacted the DMCA laws. Fact is, people who enjoy it are going to see it in the theaters anyways. Who wants to watch a cam vid? Games are way over priced because little nublets parents buy them what they want. Its not going to stop, you show me a technology that can stop it and ill point you to a guy that can go around it(figuratively speaking). Theres just as many people helping the cause as are trying to stop it. In some form it will go on. They may shut down most of the big sites, but it will still go on. Sites like egydown don't even use torrents and they are still up and running.
I guess what im getting at is that there's a difference in stealing a car and downloading something. A person is not "stealing" from a person. A person is "stealing" from a company. I look at it as borrowing it. My friend wanted to play Fallout 3, (which btw sucked and was a re-skinned oblivion) so he asked me to borrow it and I let him borrow it. Did that company miss out on a sale? Maybe...is that stealing? By their logic yeah it is.
It just annoys me that there are laws to protect big business'.

Last edited: