Missing operating system?!

tweetersaway

Hi, I am new to this forum. My problem came first when I was given a used computer from my uncle. When I went to plug it in and boot it up, the startup screen said "Missing operating system". Have any of you people had this problem or do you have any ideas how to correct this or is it a better idea just to trash it. If you want any more info about the computer, I can post specs. Thanks for any and all help.

4W4K3

VIP Member
lol...install an Operating System obviously :p

but before you install one, call up your uncle and ask him if he wiped the HDD or if it was in a working condition when he gave it to you. my bet is he wiped the HDD cuz' then you would have access to all his stuff on the computer, and yah obviously that isn't preferred.

If you install an OS over an already installed one with problems, there are chances of screwing up both and possibly the HDD. so make sure you ask and confirm it's wiped before you install a new one. just for safety i would wipe it again, just incase you know...

tweetersaway

No, he did not format the drive before he gave it to me. My problem is basically that nothing will open. During startup, it checks for all the hardware, stops and gives me the message time and time again. I've tried using the Windows 95 CD to install it, but it won't access the disk. I've tried using a boot disk, that didn't work either. Any help?

4W4K3

VIP Member
hmm...

in BIOS, make sure the HDD is selected as a boot device, and that is is even recognized. I can set my boot devices, and if set wrong it doesn't detect the HDD and will give me the exact same problem.

Also google "wdclear" and bootup with that on a floppy. scan the drive for errors, and see if you find and bad sectors or anything.

Check the IDE acbles, see if they are damaged. jsut incase use a new one if you can't tell if it's damdged. make sure the molex connector is in there good and giving the HDD power.

Morb

Make sure that in BIOS the HDD is selected as "first boot device". It can be caused that you don't have HDD set on the first place and floppy/CD disk is inserted or you have only set to boot from CD|LAN|floppy, but HDD not entirely.

I suggest that you have SATA/PATA cabling set properly.
Try it, maybe this is the problem :rolleyes:

Last edited: