Missing Word Document Help

trewyn15

Hey guys, long story short, I was moving files around on my computer and they were deleted and not even in my recycling bin.

Among those files I had some work documents that were actually transcribings for my boss at work. I had 3 backed up but one was not backed up.

I am wondering if there is a location that this file may still be either in Word's auto-save archive, if there is one, or some background files of Office.

Does anyone have any thoughts or input on this? It would be greatly appreciated.

trewyn15

It didn't show up in the first go around, I'm using the option to look a little deeper in.

Any chance of getting it if I can't find it with this program?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You can try other file recovery programs. But if perhaps windows has overwritten the space that the file was at then chances are pretty slim.

trewyn15

You can try other file recovery programs. But if perhaps windows has overwritten the space that the file was at then chances are pretty slim.

This only happened earlier this morning and I haven't done much for file moving or anything since, hopefully it shows up or else I guess I'll be typing it all up again.

Okedokey

1. Locate the folder in which you last saved the missing document.
  2. Look for files that have the .wbk extension.

• If there are no files that have the .wbk extension in the original folder, follow these steps to search the computer for all files that have the .wbk extension:
    • Click Start, and then click Search.
    • In the lower-left corner of the Windows Desktop Search pane, click Click here to use Search Companion.
    • In the Search Companion pane, click All Files and Folders.
    • In the All or part of the file name: box, copy and paste (or type) the following text:
      *.wbk
      In the Look in box, click My Computer, and then click Search.

If you find any files that are named "Backup of" followed by the name of the missing document, follow these steps to open the backup copy:

3. Start Word. Perform one of the following actions:
    • If you use Word 2007: Click the Microsoft Office Button, click Open, click All Files (*.*) in the Files of type box, locate and select the file, and then click Open.
    • If you use Word 2003: Click Open on the File menu, click All Files (*.*) in the Files of type box, locate and select the file, and then click Open.

Last edited:

trewyn15

FINALLY

I went through about 5,000 files and finally found the two interviews that I was looking for of which were conveniently renamed files 0008 and 0029 lol

But I found them so thank you for your help!

Okedokey

Cool. Office usually keeps backups by default so in future, its as simple as looking for .wbk files.

trewyn15

1. Locate the folder in which you last saved the missing document.
  2. Look for files that have the .wbk extension.

• If there are no files that have the .wbk extension in the original folder, follow these steps to search the computer for all files that have the .wbk extension:
    • Click Start, and then click Search.
    • In the lower-left corner of the Windows Desktop Search pane, click Click here to use Search Companion.
    • In the Search Companion pane, click All Files and Folders.
    • In the All or part of the file name: box, copy and paste (or type) the following text:
      *.wbk
      In the Look in box, click My Computer, and then click Search.

If you find any files that are named "Backup of" followed by the name of the missing document, follow these steps to open the backup copy:

3. Start Word. Perform one of the following actions:
    • If you use Word 2007: Click the Microsoft Office Button, click Open, click All Files (*.*) in the Files of type box, locate and select the file, and then click Open.
    • If you use Word 2003: Click Open on the File menu, click All Files (*.*) in the Files of type box, locate and select the file, and then click Open.

Thank you for this as well! Definitely good information to know and will probably save me some time in the future.

Thank you both!

Okedokey

Just a tip. Always email these things to yourself, that way you can access them anywhere and have a back up.