MMORPG Discussion

JasonJohnston09

Hey guys,
So.... I've been traveling for half a year servicing the HCA facilities in the USA and Canada. Finally got back home and left my employer to work for the government. I played wow for a good 4 years, 2 of those years playing in vodka. I quit around the end of WOTLK. My problem is I can't find a MMORPG that even compares to wow, or holds my attention. So I've created this thread so that hopefully someone can shed some light on an MMO that they are currently playing that they fell in love with after leaving wow. I have D3, and I'm tired of farming inferno even with the ubers update the other day.

Thoughts?

Darren

Staff member
GW2 is great. Totally stomps anything out right now I think. Wish I had more time to play.

SuperDuperMe

Rift is the only mmorpg that has ever interested me. I enjoyed it a lot but couldnt afford the sub. You could try that. End game is where its at with that one.

Animisk1

I like to play Star Wars the old republic. Maybe its just because I have been a Star Wars fan for as long as I can remember, but it is assume. <(")

Darren

Staff member
I like to play Star Wars the old republic. Maybe its just because I have been a Star Wars fan for as long as I can remember, but it is assume. <(")

I heard it wasn't that great to be honest... The Star Wars aspect might be fun but when you got down to it. Seemed to be a fairly basic MMORPG.

WoW is always fun but it's getting really dated.

On the free side Runes of Magic is supposed to really good. I played it for a while but stopped because I didn't have any friends to play with and had other games to play that I payed for and felt obligated to play. It had a very WoW like feel without the annoying Pay to Win aspect of most Item Mall MMO's.

alexjb

I bought Guild Wars 2 and I find it a bit boring if I'm honest, but I have never played World of Warcraft or anything similar, I just was expecting a game where you fight things and level up but I think that Guild Wars 2 is just events only so far, and I would of rather it been training on things to level up, but I would say that it's a good game, just not my sort of game :) And because I downloaded it I cannot get a refund :/

Darren

Staff member
I bought Guild Wars 2 and I find it a bit boring if I'm honest, but I have never played World of Warcraft or anything similar, I just was expecting a game where you fight things and level up but I think that Guild Wars 2 is just events only so far, and I would of rather it been training on things to level up, but I would say that it's a good game, just not my sort of game :) And because I downloaded it I cannot get a refund :/

That's the whole point though. What your'e wanting is simply kill monsters and do hunt quests and level up. Check out basically any Asian based MMO and have at it. If that's your cup of tea, then you'll find plenty to keep you entertained. GW2 is trying (and succeeded) to break that mold of just grinding. The event system is designed so it's a more natural flow of doing something productive and have an actual impact in the game world.

In GW2 you can just run around and kill stuff to level up, but the events and story are much more interesting in my opinion. If you don't like the story events or personal narratives just ignore them. They seem slightly bland, but I'm never big on story in an MMO.

SuperDuperMe

I heard it wasn't that great to be honest... The Star Wars aspect might be fun but when you got down to it. Seemed to be a fairly basic MMORPG.

WoW is always fun but it's getting really dated.

On the free side Runes of Magic is supposed to really good. I played it for a while but stopped because I didn't have any friends to play with and had other games to play that I payed for and felt obligated to play. It had a very WoW like feel without the annoying Pay to Win aspect of most Item Mall MMO's.

Its pretty crap, im a massive star wars nerd, have been since i was young and tbh i hated the old republic. Its a much lesser version of kotor that isnt awesome. If you want single player rpg then that would the route go if you like star wars. TOR is just meh.

alexjb

That's the whole point though. What your'e wanting is simply kill monsters and do hunt quests and level up. Check out basically any Asian based MMO and have at it. If that's your cup of tea, then you'll find plenty to keep you entertained. GW2 is trying (and succeeded) to break that mold of just grinding. The event system is designed so it's a more natural flow of doing something productive and have an actual impact in the game world.

In GW2 you can just run around and kill stuff to level up, but the events and story are much more interesting in my opinion. If you don't like the story events or personal narratives just ignore them. They seem slightly bland, but I'm never big on story in an MMO.

It is a good game, I am only level 12 at the moment and need to give it more of a chance :) I do like the way the events are, they are really cool, but I also wish there was a way to level up without doing non stop events :)

zeroo

Hi, you should give lord of the rings online a go. The game play is good and the graphics are just great. I have just gone back to wow, I like wow but the graphics are not as good as lord of the rings. Give it a look.
Good luck with you hunt