Mobo for case......

u.k.man

Hi all, I am building a PC for the very first time so I am a complete novice and I may come across as a bit of an idiot but I don't mean to be. :eek:
Anyway... I have got got my case and with the case there is some small screws with some larger screws, two gold colour hexagonal type screws and a plastic spacer or something... (also mentioned something about insulators and punch-ups...) Cannot find any insulators at all...
The thing is what is the correct way to install my mobo in this case? with these type of screws etc as I had read something about if I don't do it right everything might burn or shortage, thank you :confused:
PS It also states on the little note inside case you must place the provided insulators into the unused MB plate punch-ups to avoid shortage. Are these insulators plastic ? Because if they are I haven't got any lol

Last edited:

Antiodontalgic

They are screws with long heads that another screw can screw into.

You must have those screwed into the MB bracket (Metal Spot) to the case.

Then, you screw your motherboard into those screws. :)

iggy101

from what i understand screw the hexagonal ones into the case put your mobo ontop of them then screw screws into the hexagonal ones through the mobo holes

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
i made a quick picture in paint for you, hopefully this helps....
moboconnect4ck.jpg

dragon

*INSTRUCTIONS* -

1. Screw hexagonal (usually bronze) standoffs into required holes (doesnt matter if you screw them in all holes) but best to be neat

2. Position motherboard on top of standoffs so that the motherboard screw hole align with the standoff holes

3. Insert and screw down standard (usually silver) philips screw into the standoff's through the motherboard, thus securing the motherboard in palce and ensuring that the motherboard does not make a grounding connection to the metal case

4. Ensure system powers on before proceeding, this is just a simple check to see if you are grounding the motherboard or not (you shouldnt be)

dragon

Last edited:

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
glad to here it was of some use, here to help

dragon

*EDIT* editing post above to add some simple instructions too

34erd

That can be the most confusing parts of building. I spent 3 hours staring at my case and my motherboard and the box of screws trying to figure out what to do lol.

Greggie Boy

Nice diagram & great Instructions, Dragon 2309

You should patent it. It's the instructions that case manufacturers don't have the sense to add, but that would cost them about a penny :) :) :)

u.k.man

thanks for all the replies guys, I really appreciate it!
And a BIG thanks to dragon2309 for the pic and instructions, thanks mate.
PS just one thing... I was chatting to someone at work about the same thing yesterday and apparently he justs screws in the mobo with screws and that's it! (He claims he has built about TEN PC's and that he has had NO problems) Can anyone back this theory?
and oh... by the way dragon2309, I have about six screws that were in the case and only two hexagonal screw type thingys, thank you.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
well, the idea of the hexagonal standoofs is to literally jsut raise the motherboard off of the metal backplate of the case. If the motherboard or the soldered traces touch the metal backplate the mobo will short out and possibly fry itself.

It is perfectly OK to not use any stndoffs but iff yuor mobo has a large bit of solder on it somewhere, or a cable pushes its backwards and it touches the case, dnt exxpect it to work for too much longer... lol

And yes, i understand how confusing it can be, there are liteerally hundreds of different screws and size holes etc... and its not often obvious what goes where. Manufacturers tend to stick to hardcore technical details, not simple things like whats being discussed here.

Oh and due t the Intellectual Property Rights Act, that image is already protected, and belongs to ME!!! even if there i no official document saying so, lol

Gald you found it uselul, i know how it was when i built my first PC, what a disaster.....

dragon2309 :D

u.k.man

dragon.... So if I have six screws and two hexagonal standoffs...
and take it in mind there is about six holes in mobo...
Do I just put two screws in with the two hexagonal standoffs and leave the four vacant holes in mobo? the reason I am asking this is because say if mobo is raised with the two screws and two hexagonal standoffs the other remaining screws will be probably too short? and will the mobo be secure with the less parts? thanks again and sorry for sounding a bit brainless :eek: