Mobo Problems

vw-Jeff

I've had my system for over a year if I'm remembering right. Last night, I shut down for the night (usually I don't, but I think it's been heating up my room lol) Well this morning, I went to boot up and nothing, No POST no bios no display nothing. A few strange things too... When the IDE is plugged into the dvd drive, I can't open it, the button does nothing. But if I disconect the IDE I can then open the disc drive like normal. I'm not sure on the exact mobo model because I'm at work right now, but It's a gigabyte board. Any advice? I'm planning on trying to reset the CMOS when I get home although I don't know exactly how, never had to do it before.

cohen

went it boots properly go into the bios and change the boot setup to the hard drive because the computer is trying to boot of the CD drive and it is not working.. so change that in the bios and se what happens.

vw-Jeff

went it boots properly go into the bios and change the boot setup to the hard drive because the computer is trying to boot of the CD drive and it is not working.. so change that in the bios and se what happens.
I can't get to the bios. The machine used to always make one beep sound on startup (which I'm told by a friend is it posting)...it is no longer doing so

Last edited:

vw-Jeff

get the hard drive connected.

I've tried every combination of drives connected. Having just the HD connected, just the DVD, both, neither, all of which get me a blank black screen. No POST, no bios nothing at all. Everything is getting power, fans spinning, lights on. Just no function what so ever.

cohen

I've tried every combination of drives connected. Having just the HD connected, just the DVD, both, neither, all of which get me a blank black screen. No POST, no bios nothing at all. Everything is getting power, fans spinning, lights on. Just no function what so ever.

well it could be CPU that is not working or the graphics cards.....

vw-Jeff

Alright, A friend at work said to disconnect EVERYTHING from the board and try to boot up. I did this and It turns out my floppy drive is to blame. No idea why or how but with it unhooked everything boots like normal. I'll update my bios and see if I can reconnect it, if not... who needs floppy drives anyway?

cohen

Alright, A friend at work said to disconnect EVERYTHING from the board and try to boot up. I did this and It turns out my floppy drive is to blame. No idea why or how but with it unhooked everything boots like normal. I'll update my bios and see if I can reconnect it, if not... who needs floppy drives anyway?

:eek::eek: the floppy drive!!! .... WOW! :eek::cool::cool: