mobo question

Dillan500

my motherboard has a 24 pin power connector...
and the cpu power is 6 pin...

BUT my psu has 20 pin for mobo
ans a 4 pin for cpu.

this system is currently running, but my question is what are the extra pins for if it works without them?

thanks

I'm not sure what the 6 pin CPU is for. But the 24 pin has 4 pins left over for a 12 volt connection exactly the same as a CPU connector.

salvage-this

I'm not sure what the 6 pin CPU is for. But the 24 pin has 4 pins left over for a 12 volt connection exactly the same as a CPU connector.

I don't think that is right. Although I may be mistaken.

My system, and a lot of other systems have a 24 pin motherboard connector and a 4 pin cpu connector. They should not come on the same wires as the motherboard connector. The only 6 pin that I can find is to power a graphics card.

StrangleHold

Staff member
As far as the 20/24 pin board power connector. Some boards that have a 24 pin will work with just a 20 pin, some wont. Check the manual it will probably tell you. The CPU power connector is 4 or 8, not 6. Same as above, if it has a 8 pin CPU power connector check the manual and see if it will work with a 4 pin.

And no the extra 4 pin connector on the 20/24 pin board power connector is not the same as the CPU power connector, they are not even pinned the same way.

If you have a 6 pin power connector from the power supply, its a PCIe Video card power connector.

Last edited:

Dillan500

ok, ya its an 8 pin cpu connector "XFX GeForce 8200 Motherboard"

but i dont understand why the 4pin psu works foe 8 pin cpu...
and why 20 pin psu works for 24 pin mobo...

whats the point of all the extra pins, if they're not really used?
and would getting a newer psu that utilizes the pin holes effect performance at all?

and do note that this is a running system and i am NOT asking if it will work.

StrangleHold

Staff member
ok, ya its an 8 pin cpu connector "XFX GeForce 8200 Motherboard"

but i dont understand why the 4pin psu works foe 8 pin cpu...
and why 20 pin psu works for 24 pin mobo...

whats the point of all the extra pins, if they're not really used?
and would getting a newer psu that utilizes the pin holes effect performance at all?

and do note that this is a running system and i am NOT asking if it will work.

Its all about extra power. The extra 4 pins on the 24 pin is a 12V/5V/3.3V and ground. The CPU 8 pin has two extra 12V and two extra grounds.

Dillan500

Its all about extra power. The extra 4 pins on the 24 pin is a 12V/5V/3.3V and ground. The CPU 8 pin has two extra 12V and two extra grounds.

but will having the "extra power" make a performance difference?
if i dont need them... why is it there?

Dillan500

this is off topic, but i was just wondering when i'm done with a post, do i delete it or just let it go?:confused:

bkribbs

this is off topic, but i was just wondering when i'm done with a post, do i delete it or just let it go?:confused:

you leave it, this way people like me with to much time on their hands will go thruogh them to learn as much as they can about computers:cool:

StrangleHold

Staff member
but will having the "extra power" make a performance difference?
if i dont need them... why is it there?

Well if its running fine without any problems, then no it would not help anything. They put then there if you use a higher end processor that needs more power or for the board if you have all the PCIe/PCI slots filled up and pulling alot off the board.

Paul17041993

yea basically the extra pins are so the psu can supply more power without having the cables and connectors burn and cack themselves

the extra 4 pins on the 24pin mobo connector are extra lines of 12v, 5v, 3.3v and ground (or "common" (not - or -v there is a difference))
the extra 4 pins on the cpu 8 pin connectors are two lines of 12v and ground

i can post a full pin-mapping if you want:D

hwowme

I couldn't wait to touch them
   to smell them I held them
   closely
   And now I cannot break away
   Their sweet bouquet disappears
   like the vapor in the desert
   So take a warning ,son

Dillan500

I couldn't wait to touch them