Mobo RAM speed support

fjjbnjn

I'm building a very small budget gaming pc for fun, and I'm trying to get my costs down on the motherboard. I have on old dell optiplex 390 motherboard here, and I really want to use it. I believe the fastest memory it supports is 1333mhz, but the ram that I'll be using is 1600mhz.

1.) Would I still be able to use use this ram on this motherboard and have it cap at 1333mhz?

2.) Would the loss of speed make any noticeable difference in gaming?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I have on old dell optiplex 390 motherboard here
I don't recommend doing this unless the front panel connectors are the same as the retail motherboards. Dells like to use front panel and front usb in the same cable which you won't be able to match up if you use a retail case. In looking at the manual on how everything lays out, can't tell if its a normal FP connection or not. Can you post a picture of it?

fjjbnjn

I don't recommend doing this unless the front panel connectors are the same as the retail motherboards. Dells like to use front panel and front usb in the same cable which you won't be able to match up if you use a retail case. In looking at the manual on how everything lays out, can't tell if its a normal FP connection or not. Can you post a picture of it?
Well actually I was just going to order it off ebay since the optiplex I did have was the wrong socket, but here's the picture on the listing, not sure how well you can read or see anything on it:
s-l1600.jpg

beers

Staff member
I'd honestly just go for an aftermarket board and case, plenty of extra features for similar dough.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I highly recommend getting a retail motherboard that supports the processor you have. Most of the time OEM motherboards don't work out well in aftermarket cases.

fjjbnjn

Yeah, I highly recommend getting a retail motherboard that supports the processor you have. Most of the time OEM motherboards don't work out well in aftermarket cases.
Well I'll actually be using a dell optiplex case for it. Won't it be fine then? It would be a different model optiplex.