mobo selection help

tboski123

just looking for a decent mobo without breaking the bank. i think i want something for an amd 64 socket 754. thinking about getting a 3000 0r 3200 cpu. i am not really into too much of the overclocking thing and i will be gaming alot. thanks!

also, what do i need for a serial ata drive? i might just start with one, but maybe i'll raid in the future.

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
From your use-profile, a few suggestions:

Socket939 -- might be outside your budget but will seriously punish the Socket754s
Socket462 -- obsolete, but a well configured AthlonXP setup + good video card can outperform a Socket754 (because the 754s lack dual channel support) ... this prolly isnt a wise choice overall since the AthlonXPs are really outdated
Socket478 -- a P4P800SE + P4C-3.0Ghz will easily fit under the budget for the Socket754+mobo ... and the dual channel is a very nice bonus.
Socket754 -- to actually answer your question, the K8V SE Deluxe is prolly one of the better boards with the K8V falling right behind it (and the SE Deluxe model is just $20CAD more) :)

tboski123

hey, will the k8v deluxe still accept pc2700 ram? i wanna try to use all of the parts i recently bought for my other pc. thanks!

tboski123

opinions please. what would you do?

asus k8v se deluxe w/ 3400+ amd 64 = $450
msi k8n neo-fsr w/3200+ amd 64 = $350

tell me

tboski123

ok praetor, i think you talked me into a 939 socket system. asus a8v deluxe w/ amd 64 3500+. everybody give me your thoughts!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Not horribly expensive though. You're looking at $500 for that setup -- sure a lot, but its a solid set of strff (and to answer the question, yes it can use PC2700)